What's new

Another Song Request.. (1 Viewer)

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Hey all, I'm trying to find out the name of another song. I remember this song being out like 2-3 years ago, it's basically a guy given a speech with brief bits of music in between. The guy giving the speech says stuff like "respect your body, use it every way you can" and he goes on saying other stuff with brief bits of little techno like riffs between. Anybody have any idea what song I'm talking about? Thanks.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
"Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)" by Baz Luhrmann.

One of the most surreal singles in memory, "Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)" has an even stranger story than you'd imagine: in 1998, a student lifted the text of an article columnist Mary Schmich had written for the Chicago Tribune and started sending it around the world, crediting it as a commencement speech given at MIT by Kurt Vonnegut. Film director Baz Luhrmann (who had taken a big part in designing the soundscapes of his films Strictly Ballroom and William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet) got his hands on it just as he was working on a remix of Rozalla's 1992 dance hit "Everybody's Free (To Feel Good)." Within a day, Luhrmann had hired a local actor to read the text, and a single was born. from Amazon.com.

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
Malcolm: Cool, I never knew that. Now that you mention it, I do remember the gospel version of "Everybody's Free (To Feel Good)" in one of the scenes in "Romeo and Juliet." I never made the connection that Luhrmann had also made the sunscreen song too. :)

P.S. Another great version of "Everybody's Free (To Feel Good)" is "Ich Bin Wieder Hier" by Blumchen and Scooter. ;)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
you mean the song that was played at *EVERY* commencement speech in the world that year??? ;) :D :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks