Another Smallville Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Lenhardt, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

1/15/01: Sweet episode! No kryptonite in sight, interesting and intelligent villian, all storylines actually advanced.
    What'd you all think?

2. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

I won't see it till Sunday.

I'm glad that the show may be moving in a new direction. It is pretty good but the Kryptonite-monster-of-the-week is starting to wear a bit thin.

I'm interested to see what will happen to Lex Luthor and his investigations.

3. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

It's a step in the right direction, but we've still got the 'villian of the week' syndrome; this one just happened to be not kryptonite enhanced.

And he could always come back thusly.....

Also, I like the way that Clark is actually using his super powers. But he should have taken a bullet, I think.

4. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

If the rest would be like last nights I would probably watch it more often.

I seriously hope they reduce the use of Kryptonite in thier show.

I mean sure a planet exploded but did it all land in Smallville?

Also beginging to get the Archie feel here. Does anybody else see this.

5. Dave_P

Dave_P Stunt Coordinator

Personally, I thought last nights episode was the best one so far. The villian was interesting. The sub-plot with Lex and his British BABE talking about taking over their father's empires. I think Lex is getting more and more complex with every story.

I liked how Lex took the "bomb" out of the newspaper dispenser so nonchalant like. He knew that Phelan was full of it.

Oh, and did I mention the girl that played the British BABE!!!! Man, was she hot or what??? She almost made me stop thinking about Lana Lang for a few minutes.

Patrick, where are you with your insight???

6. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I liked the familiar look to Alexanders armor. Also, I think I like Chloe more than Lana.

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Finally an episode that had me going, "How is Clark going to get out of this jam?"
    Spoilers below:
    If I were Clark, I'd make Phalin physically uncomfortable, break a hand of his, a leg, just to make it hard for him to "operate" normally. Nothing sucks worse than being incapacitated. Too bad Clark isn't as evil as me. [​IMG]
    I did like how Clark tries to set up Phalin breaking into the IA chief's safe, but Clark is so naive, I find it hard to believe some time, but I have to remember he lives in Smallville and isn't as sophisticated yet in the ways of big city life and corruption, even if it is 2002 in the show.
    Lex will finally figure it all out that Clark is the one with super powers. Victoria Hardwicke is played by Kelly Brook, a British model/actress, and yes, quite yummy.
    Finally Chloe almost confessed her pinings for Clark (with her admission that the newspaper is her excuse for her to be with Clark on a regular basis, even if Clark has goo-goo eyes for Lana. The intense close-ups of the faces of Lana and Chloe was a good touch as both girls were trying not to show the rest of their cards in the game of Clark poker. I've maintained that it's Chloe that makes Lois Lane to attractive to him once he moves to Metropolis and gets work at the Daily Planet. Lana will always represent that girl who was never "available" to Clark, regardless of how sweet she is to him. Even with super powers, you can't make someone fall in love with you against their will. It's not emotionally honest, and it's another lesson that Clark is learning quite well.
    The conclusion was a little predictable (somehow it's a crutch of writers to have the bad guy be put away in a hail of gunfire right before the bad guy can spill the beans on the good guy). It was a nice touch to hear Phalin basically say to Lex, "See you in hell" when Lex wanted to pump him for information while he was near death.
    Overall, a pretty good episode that illustrated the perils of Clark's predicament due to his super powers, and the effect it'll have on his family should his identity become public knowledge. This will fuel his "nerdy" Clark Kent persona in the future as he becomes the total antithesis of Superman to ward off suspicions of snoopy reporters (like Chloe or Lois Lane in the future).

8. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

I'm not evil -- just pragmatic. Clark should have used his powers to make Phalin disappear. Right in the barn, when he first tried to set up Clark. I'm not sure Clark was really naive enough to believe Phalin's "if you do this for me, we'll never cross paths again". You can't have someone like that running around. Did Clark really expect Phalin to get shot, solving the problem? What if he had been captured and went to prison? He would continue to extort Clark.

Obviously Phalin's actions ultimately caused his own death. But if Clark set him up to be killed, would it really be different if Clark had gotten his own hands dirty? There is a clear greater good in making Phalin go away.

On a related note, does Clark leave fingerprints?

Good observation about the close-ups.

//Ken

9. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

Best episode yet!! [​IMG] I said before that there is no need to have a "kryponite powered" villain every show and I think that this one proved it.
    One thing about the show...
    I think that Clark wouldn't have stood there to have the engine fall on top of him. They should have just had him catch it. That would still be enough evidence for Phalin and it would have been more realistic since they've been focusing on how fast he is.
    Just nit picking though...
    Great show! [​IMG]

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Clark does seem conveniently fast in some scenes, and very slow of mind in others. Chalk it up to writer's discretion.
    I was cringing a little bit at the Matrix bullet scene, I must admit. [​IMG]

11. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

Ok this episode was the best so far. I like how this episode ended with a suspense as lex freeze framed clark, and in the fortune teller episode where the lady died while seeing lexs future.

Lex is a great cast pick for this show.

12. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

1/15/01: Back to the Monster of the Week formula... still all in all a decent episode, and did anyone catch the Cadmus project reference on the computer monitors?

13. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Although, it is back to the "Monster of the Week". I still thought this was a great episode. The two relationship triangles (Clark-Lana-Whitney & Lex, his dad & Victoria). Complete opposites of each other. Even Lex makes comment of it by saying what Clark did to help Whitney is something he admires(although, he wouldn't of). This episode showed that if you have good writing, you can have a new "monster" every week.

ps-Poor Chloe, She reminded me of the way Clark looks and feels for Lana.