What's new

another setup question (1 Viewer)

jeff cr

Agent
have a question about using the receiver test tones. i haven't got a dvd player so i am doing it by ear. i know you setup your mains,center and surrounds to the same level, but do you also set the subwoofer to the same level. i tried the test tones from the receiver and i can get all my speakers pretty close to the same level, but the subwoofer i have to turn all the way up almost to get it to the same level as my speakers. for movies it sounds okay but for music it's way to much bass. let me know how you guys do it . thanks

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Jeff,

You'll get a much more accurate level reading if you calibrate using an SPL (Sound Pressure Level) meter. It is an invaluable tool of the trade around here, you can pick one up at your local Radio Shack.

For me, I have my low pass frequency all the way up on the sub, this insures that i'm not shortchanging the low end in the material that i'm listening to and that it's all getting delivered to the sub. Then, using my SPL meter I set the sub to the same level as the rest of my speakers, it doesn't read exatly on the dot like the other speakers though. I calibrated my other speakers at 85 dbs and got them all to hold there, the sub however fluctuated between 85 and 87 dbs, I couldn't get it to read on the money, but that's normal I think.

When you get your player, be sure to pick up either 'AVIA' or 'Video Essentials', these are calibration dvd's and will tweak your system to the best of it's ability. But you must get a sound meter for dead on accurate levels.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, you should also know that your ears are very poor at subwoofer frequencies. Of all the sounds, these are the worst for you to do by ear.

Without a meter, use music and adjust it down until it is pleasant. Thats about the best you can do.

BradK

Stunt Coordinator
John,

When you say you turn up the low pass, then set the sub level with the rest of the speakers, are you using the actual sub level control on the sub? Or are you using the receivers sub level control? Does it really matter either way anyway? Should you raise sub level one way or another as long as crossover setting renmains the same>? Thanks for help.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Brad,

yes, I keep the sub level on the reciever itself set flat at zero at all times, this is so you'll have a nice not too loud, not too low level flowing into the sub, and then I set the sub level by turning the subs level control up little by little until it reads as close to 85 dbs as I can get it.

As a sidenote, some here in the forum like to have their subs set just a couple of dbs higher then the rest of the speakers, I guess it just gives the sub a little extra presence. Me, I don't feel the need to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks