Another sequel we don't need: Training Day 2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Weinberg, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Man, I'm chock full of silly movie news today! [​IMG] Seems Ethan Hawke is about to sign up for this one.
    Take a look here.

2. Matt Wooten

Matt Wooten Second Unit

i dunno why.. but right after i saw it in theaters.. i just knew 2 was coming... not really a good thing.. but i'll go see it. and thats what they want anyway.

3. Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

Gasim de Paris
    "Washington will not return, and those who saw the first film will understand why."

Maybe they could get Whoopie Goldberg to reprise her role as the medium in "Ghost." Denzel Washington and Patrick Swayze could vie for the attentions of Hawke's wife, or something...

Man, Hollywood has got to learn to say "NO."

4. Dave H

Dave H Producer

When I heard they are making a sequel to this I couldn't believe it. This story ended when it did.

5. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

This is flat-out ridiculous! We dont need a TD2!

BTW- Matt, very nice sig. I like it a lot.

6. Joe_C

Joe_C Supporting Actor

I agree with Dave. The movie's ending was perfectly fine, because it was just that, an ENDING. While I certainly enjoyed Training Day, I do not see any possible (non-economical) reason to make a second.

7. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

I'll put $5.00 on the movie topic as well. Ethan's character is still the good cop but he'll probably have a trainee that turns out to be bad and he'll once have to save the day but this time he'll be the experienced cop as opposed to being a rookie.

Maybe he'll once again have a corrupt boss that he'll have to bring down. I think that there will be more action sequences then the first episode because of the lack of Denzel (*Star Power*)billing. Sort of like how Mission Impossible got off the whole super spy, who dunnit theme and jumped on the action packed, 'save the love interest' thing.

I'm sure of one thing though,the next one won't be nominated for any oscars.

8. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I still say that Training Day was a bad movie, and should have ended after

They killed Scott Glenn's character

But, all that being said...even if it was the best film ever made, you guys are right...it "ended" ... a sequel is just a bad idea.

9. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

I don't mind sequels to successful movies, most of the time they are so horrible that it's not worth watching, but every once in a great while you have something decent.

My problems with doing a TD2 are all of the unanswered pieces of the original.

Such as;

What about the drugs in Hoyte's blood? Will he still have support from the Lt of the department who's training officer was just gunned down?

What about the 3-wise men, in the alternate ending they had some words to say to Hoyte.

As Alonso said over and over in the film "It's not what you know, it's what you can prove", how is Hoyte going to explain everything that happened that day and not be in some serious trouble?

I liked the film, but there were a lot of unanswered questions at the end.

Andrew

10. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I'll add this one to my list of sequels to boycott. Right under Highlander 2.

11. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

12. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

13. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

Having just watched Training Day over the weekend on DVD, a sequel sounds pretty damn stupid. Period. Pretty good flick, but a franchise it is not.

In fact, come to think of it, how much 'serious drama' is sequel material? I'm thinking not much. Franchise area tends to be action/comedy type films.

14. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Denzel Washington was the only thing the really made Training Day stand out. The story was average at best and without the towering performance of Washington, it would have been another run-of-the-mill Hollywood flick. This is why Hollywood is clueless-they are banking a sequel on the performance of a star that can't be in the sequel. Pretty pathetic and I won't be wasting my time and money to see it.
    Bruce

15. NickFoley

NickFoley Stunt Coordinator

I doesnt make sense to release a sequel. Are they going to follow Hoyt around while he trains another cop?[​IMG]

16. Mark E J

Mark E J Second Unit

I will wait until I see where they are going with the possible sequel. Remember there were many who thought Godfather 2 was a stupid idea before it was released.
    But then again I suppose just as many thought Godfather 3 was a great idea. [​IMG]

17. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Lesser films than Training Day have morphed into reasonable sequals. I just see it as Hollywood reusing the title to jumpstart another movie that would have been made anyway. As of right now the idea of a Training Day sequal sounds silly but with the right script it could be a good movie. If the only part of the script that's carried over is Ethan's character with two more years experience why would that be a bad thing?

18. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

Maybe the sequel will be a prequel. That could work. If it isn't a prequel, I have no interest.

-Dean-

19. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

Prequel? Sounds good to me but they certainly couldn't call it Training Day 2, could they?

If it's truly a sequel named "Training Day 2" it would have to pick up the next day, not years later.

Prequel or sequel, I'm willing to give it a shot.

20. MickeS

MickeS Producer

It will take place 800 years into the future, and Ethan Hawk will wake up from cryogenic sleep. Denzel's brain was saved and transplanted into the head of another person, so it's still the same character, but now it's played by Julia Roberts!! She'll win an Oscar and proclaim that she loves her life, while Denzel weeps.

/Mike