Another seperates vs reciever on a budget ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John LaB, Sep 22, 2001.

1. John LaB

John LaB Agent

I finally have the room to setup a nice home theater, with a true 5.1 setup. I never really had the room for it before, so my current reciever is just old school Pro-Logic.
    Here is my current setup
    HK AVR 25 II(just PL)
    HK PA 2200 (100x2)
    Carver AV-705 thx (125x5)
    B&W 602 fronts
    B&W LCR 6 center
    Still trying to decide on rears. Either 601's, or I'll pick up a set of 603's and put the 602's in the rear.
    Velodyne VA10-12x
    Mits WS-55807 hdtv
    Pioneer DV 414
    DVDO Iscan Pro
    So, I want to replace my old HK reciever, and I was looking at picking up a Parasound AVC-1800 to go along with the Carver. The Parasound's are going for about 600 used/demo, which is about what I want to spend. Seems like a lot of bang for the buck.
    Or, should I sell off the Carver, for probably about 500. Maybe I could get 150 for the HK reciever, and 200 for the amp. Add in what I was going to spend for a pre, and I could drop about 1300 on a reciever.
    I guess this would get me an Onkyo 989, or maybe a Denon 4800.
    I am probably 50/50 ht, music, so I would like to have some sort of 5 channel stereo mode which the Parasound does not have.
    I guess I'm wondering what you guys think would offer better performance, bang for the buck? I'm leaning towards the Parasound, but I think I just need a little push [​IMG]
    Thanks
    -jpl

2. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Consider that for about $1500.00 you could use the Outlaw 1050 as a pre/pro, and their 750 165 wpc amp for power if you want a very budget conscious seperates solution. It seems to be a pretty good bang for the buck.
    Russ

3. John LaB

John LaB Agent

I'm not sure if that is an option for me right now.
    I have some pretty capable amps right now, the Carver pushes my B&W's just fine. And the HK is high current, +/- 30 amps, no slouch either.
    If I did the outlaw combo, I would be paying for the amps in the reciever that I wouldnt be using. Which is what I am doing now.
    I would think the Carver/Parasound combo would definitly give the 1050/750 combo a run for it's money. Esp with the 24 bit Burr Brown dac's in the Parasound.
    It's either going to be a true seperates, or a high end reciever.
    Thanks, and any other thoughts?
    -jpl

4. Robert_James

Robert_James Extra

I have an AVC-1800 which I bought to replace a Denon 2801 which I was using as a pre/pro. Sonically, the Parasound is so superior to the Denon there's no point in comparing the two. The 1800's biggest strength is two-channel audio where it is very transparent. I listen to music much more than watching dvds so this was a requirement and it performs quite admirably in this capacity.
    Its reproduction of DD/DTS is also very good, although I find the controls a bit cumbersome. The on-screen disply is functional. The display on the unit itself is weak. There are no capabilities to dim it or turn it off, the LCD portion displays the radio station frequency all of the time. The DD/DTS/PL mode is indicated only by small LEDs. This is more personal preference than anything but I preferred the Denon's LCD which indicated the mode you were in.
    The tuner section? Well, they should have left it out. I bought a cheap Onkyo tuner because I found the 1800's tuner to be less than adequate. While the tuner sounds good, the controls are irritating and its tuning capabilites are nothing to write home about.
    For the $600 I paid, I'm happy. But I'm already looking into upgrading next year if that tells you anything.

5. John LaB

John LaB Agent

Robert-
    That's pretty interesting review. Thanks for your insight.
    I realize that this is pretty much a no frills type of piece, but no dimming display I could find annoying.
    Even now, all my components dim/turn off the display completely, which is great when watching movies.
    I think I could live the the LED's, but that does seem annoying.
    Could you tell me what you are considering upgrading to? What amp are you running with it?
    If you had known this ahead of time, do you think you would buy it again?
    Thanks again,
    -jpl

6. Robert_James

Robert_James Extra

John -
    I've really just started looking around for upgrades so I don't really have any specific pre/pros in mind at this point.
    As far as amps, I have two Acurus A100X3s (100W/3 ch.). These are discontinued models that I picked up new on ubid for less than a $1000 for both. They're very good amps and they sound great to my aged ears. Mondial (owned by Klipsch) is discontinuing the Acurus line and were unloading their remaining stock on ubid with full 2 yr. warranties. For more info go to the Klipsch Forum .
    Other than the my issues with the tuner, I was aware of the strengths and weaknesses before I got it. Normally, I would have wanted to take a listen to it before I bought it but in this case I based the purchase on the recommendations of others. There are quite a few reviews of the 1800 at www.audioreview.com and in general they reflect my feelings of the unit. For the money would I buy it again? Yes, but remember I got it for its sonic characteristics (or lack thereof). Its usability and features don't match its sound.
    If your priorities are similar to mine, I don't think you'll be disappointed if you can get one at a similar price. I got mine through Custom Audio & Video though I don't know if they have any more in stock.

7. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

I don't blame you . I think real seperates are the way to go, but I couldn't think of any other combo in that price range. My situation is that I am trying to get away from receivers even the high end ones. I am still waiting to check out the Outlaw 950/770, as that is the upper end of my budget.
    Good Luck,
    Russ