another RP56 vs S60 pondering

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Takosan, Nov 6, 2001.

1. Takosan

Takosan Stunt Coordinator

I should just plunk down the $210 to buy either one rather than keep reading everything I can click on ... my heads spun. Maybe one last question although I think my $210 goes to JVC (thanx ROn-P for the review) ...
    One thing I've noticed is that at this site:
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...-2-8-2001.html
    they mention the JVC as not being that good & when I look at the chart I do get an impression that a lot of red 'x' is not good. But are the things tested measured by a sophisticated machine & not readily noticeable unless you forget to see the movie but look at each frame for defects ?
    I've read great feedback here on the JVC so I am not too concerned but I was just wondering about this.
    Takosan

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Takosan,
    Their main emphasis seems to be how well a player shifts from video to film mode during special features sections of dvds, and they don't like the fact that the interlaced output of the JVC is derived from the progressive mode, thus making for a less than perfect performance in interlaced mode.
    I did not buy my progressive scan player to use in interlaced mode. That being said, I used my JVC for a couple of weeks in interlaced mode on my previous 53" Hitachi Ultravision ntsc set before I got my new HD-capable tv. It looked every bit as good on that set as my previous player--the highly regarded panasonic A-320.
    They are downgrading players that don't shift from video to film mode for pulldown within a couple of frames--I can't see 2 frames worth of combing in the first place, and since this only seems to happen during special features sections that intersperce video and film sourced material, not during movies, it looks like extreme nitpicking to me.
    The only time I have ever seen combing with my JVC was when I had locked the pulldown into Film mode and the Piano Innards DTS trailer (which is apparently video based) came on. I changed the setting to "smart" and have watched lots of special features and have not seen any combing-the progressive scan indicator light changes from red (for video) to green (for film) as material switches from video interviews to filmclips, and I see no defects in the picture.
    Niether the panasonic rp56 or the JVC has the chroma bug, they both cost about the same, the JVC has the auto-scaling feature for non-anamorphic dvds, though it needs the proper flags on the disc, the Panasonic doesn't. The JVC has full picture calibration features, with 2 separate sets of storable adjustments. I don't know whether the panasonic does or not.
    There are those who've had problems with previous models from both mfgs., who swear never to buy another of that brand. I've had no past experience with JVC dvd players, my only Panasonic started acting up when it was 18 months old but was an open-box purchase so I don't know how many miles it had on it.
    Neither of the 2 models you're considering have been reported to have any problems playing certain discs.
    I'd say buy whichever one has the features that are most useful or important to you, and don't stress over microscopic differences in performance when playing a few specific frames of a few specific discs.
    ------------------
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

3. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Steve - excellent summary, thank you.
    Slowly drifting toward an S60 purchase...

4. Takosan

Thanx Steve for your feedback. I'm not going to worry any longer & start enjoying the world of DVD ;-)
    Takosan

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Well said Steve [​IMG]

6. Takosan

Thanx to all ... I just ordered the S60 for $206.99 shipped.
    For those interested hifi.com has a sale until midnight w/free shipping. Seems like they offer 30 day price protection & if returning something they say they usually pickup return shipping.
    Takosan