Another release of DAWN OF THE DEAD?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Robert Floto, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

According to the Sci Fi Wire there is another upcoming release of the original 1978 version of Dawn of the Dead. Does anyone have any info on this? Is this going to be one of those things they do to capitalize on the release of the new version when it comes to DVD?

Here's a bit of what it said on the Sci Fi Wire:
    I (fortunately?) didn't pick up the Divimax version yet. Should I wait? It seems this heading toward being another multi-version-Army-Of-Darkness-thing...

2. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

The current disc is just the first disc of a 4-5 disc boxset they are planning for the fall. It's been in the planning stages for quite a while.

3. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

From Anchorbayentertainment.com:

Can't wait for it!

--Ian

4. Rich Romero

Rich Romero Supporting Actor

This release has been planned for around 2 years. They aren't trying to capitolize on anything.

5. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

And they announced it WELL in advance that this version would be coming out in the near future, and to hold off if you didn't want to double dip.

6. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

Thanks! I must have missed that info initially. So I'll just go ahead and wait for the later release!

Thanks again!

7. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

A lot of people bought the single disc release just for the heck of it. I was able to hold off though, cause I don't have the money to double-dip. [​IMG]

8. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i didn't have enough self control.
    i picked up the single disc and have enjoyed the hell out of it already.
    it seems like it took forever for this, so it was nice to have the single disc to take the edge off the hunger.
    when the CE comes down the pike now it'll be like a pleasant surprise now ("oh yeah...i forgot about this...cool!")

9. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

Yeah, the "HUGE multi-disc MEGA set" of DOTD is one of my most anticipated discs of the year, even though it seems like I've been hearing about it forever.

10. Drew Reiber

Drew Reiber Supporting Actor

Well, as they initially discussed the possibility when the original DVDs hit in 1998, one might say 6 years is a very long time....

11. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter

Glad I found this info. Last Tues I had the release in my hand. Then I was like, "naw, they'll have a rerelease or a good deal for when the new version (04) goes to dvd.

Guess I was right.

12. Drew Mertz

Drew Mertz Stunt Coordinator

I little off topic but Ken Foree has also just signed on to play Charlie Altamont a.k.a. Captain Spaulding's pimp brother in "The Devil's Rejects" the sequel to Rob Zombies' House of 1000 corpses. If that ain't enough Michael ('The Hills Have Eyes') Berryman has signed to play Clevon, Charlie's dim witted sidekick.

13. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

The one disc was very tempting on opening week at Best Buy for $12.95, but I am so poor working on my Masters I can't let myself double dip. I will be buying this blind, since I love the other two Dead movies that I have seen.

14. Drew Reiber

Drew Reiber Supporting Actor

So the new cast commentary has been confirmed by multiple sources now... what about Roy Frumkes' Document of the Dead documentary? Anyone know if Synapse is on board for the release? I know it was on Anchor Bay's UK release of the Dead trilogy.

And I'm going to assume all went to plan with the Zombie cut....