What's new

Another Receiver Volume Control Question (1 Viewer)

keoki1

Auditioning
Hi All --

It's my first post, and I really have searched the Forums for an answer. I can't fully control audio like I used to. The situation: new HDTV (Panasonic TC-P54G25), new Blu-Ray player (Panasonic DMP-BD65), Time Warner Cable with DVR (Motorola DCH3416), ATLAS OCAP cable/DVR remote, OLD hi-fi audio receiver (Kyocera R-851 with no IR control) and external speakers. The sound is fine, but the receiver is inconvenient for sound adjustment, and that's the only way I seem to be able to do it.

How can I use any of the remotes (probably the cable/DVR one) to adjust TV audio through the receiver and external speakers? With my old Panasonic TV, I could do this and have done it for years. I've tried routing audio from the TV to receiver and now from cable box/DVR to receiver, and I can't make it work.

There has to be some way to adjust the audio through that Motorola cable box if I could get the remote to recognize that there's audio there.

Any thoughts? (Oh, I have one. These Forums are GREAT.)

Thanks,

George

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You shouldn't adjust the volume through the cable box. If you are using a receiver for your listening then use the volume on the receiver. If you are just using the TV, then use the TV's volume. You need to crank the volume of the cable box to the max. That is the equivalent of having line level outputs on the cable box.

I had to do this for my sister-in-law the last time I visited her. She would switch from cable to Blu-ray and the volume would blow you away.

You only need to route the audio from the TV to the receiver if you are using the tuner in the TV. With a cable box you are not using the TV's QAM tuner. And if you don't have an antenna, then you aren't using the ATSC tuner. No need to connect a cable from the TV's audio out to the receiver.

keoki1

Auditioning
OK, now I can get the cable box volume set right. Your point about "If you are using a receiver for your listening then use the volume on the receiver." is well taken, but that's what I'm trying to avoid. I've gotten so used to fine-tuning volume, especially as movies get louder and softer, that I don't want to be constantly getting up, crossing the room, blocking the view of others, opening a cabinet, and changing the volume.

Anyway, thanks, and I'm sure open to any other suggestions.

George

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Your previous configuration was rather un-conventional. If I'm understanding things correctly my guess is you had the audio routed from the cable box to the tv and then to the stereo. Your previous tv must have allowed volume adjustment of audio that was sent to it's audio output connection. This allowed you to adjust the volume from the tv's remote without touching the receiver. Your new tv must not allow volume adjustment from it's audio output connection and I don't know of any cable/ satillite receiver that has the ability to control volume, but then again, I haven't look for that feature either. I don't think you can do what you want with what you have but maybe someone else can think of something.

keoki1

Auditioning
Quote:

Originally Posted by gene c

Your previous configuration was rather un-conventional. If I'm understanding things correctly my guess is you had the audio routed from the cable box to the tv and then to the stereo. Your previous tv must have allowed volume adjustment of audio that was sent to it's audio output connection. This allowed you to adjust the volume from the tv's remote without touching the receiver. Your new tv must not allow volume adjustment from it's audio output connection and I don't know of any cable/ satillite receiver that has the ability to control volume, but then again, I haven't look for that feature either. I don't think you can do what you want with what you have but maybe someone else can think of something.

Exactly right, both the interpretation and (I'm afraid) the conclusion. I will ultimately assemble a 5.1 system with a good A/V receiver, but I was hoping to keep the old setup for awhile longer so I could take my time with the audio.

Many thanks to both of you, and if anyone else has a brainstorm, please volunteer.

George

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Having recently "temporarily retired" (i.e., cleaned up and stored safely in its original box) my Kyocera A-710 amp that had developed some of the problems common to these after so many years, I can well understand the reluctance to quit using any 1980s Kyocera component. However, I can assure you that the acquisition of a decent up-to-date A/V receiver can be as "life changing" as the upgrade to HD in general. And when the time comes, put that receiver to use in another room...bedroom stereo or some such.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Some new receivers have a feature called Audyssey Dynamic Volume Control, or something like that. They are supposed to stop commercials from being so much louder than the programs. I've not heard this in action, but from reading people's views online, they say it works fairly well. I know the volume change is aggravating. We just hit the mute button on the remote, for commercials we don't want to hear.

Also, going from tv to the receiver for sound, won't give you 5.1 surround 99% of the time, unless you're using an antenna and internal tuner for your tv programming. The tv usually down converts the 5.1 signal to 2.0 and sends to the receiver. Then, the best you can hope for is Dolby Pro Logic II (simulated surround). So, as mentioned, you really need to go from cable box to receiver with audio.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Ed makes a good point about Audysseys Dynamic Volume. H/K uses Dolby's version and Pioneer also has something similar. My brothers Denon 1610 has Dynamic Volume and it works very well. I also use vintage equipment and this is the only feature newer receivers have that I kind of miss.

Also, this is the first I've ever heard of Kyocera receivers and amps. Never knew they existed before this thread .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks