What's new

Another Reason to ditch D-VHS, Deterioration (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I was recently watching one of my older tapes, barley a decade + 1 year old, and noticed another reason never to go back to tape again. The complete and utter break down of the tape. Tell me something, what would cause Link Removed (400KB Real Video example) to happen on a tape? And what would cause it NOT to happen on a D-VHS tape?
This is one reason why I want to invest in a DVD Recorder as fast as possible, since it dosn't look like these toons will be officially released. Once my tapes are damaged beyond repair, that's it, gone forever.
And speaking of tape problems, there's also the 'ghosting' effect that I wonder if anyone else has experienced. Soemtimes getting the audio and video from an older recording suddenly appearing over the new one...
All the more reason to appreciate the quality of DVD.... :)

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Although to be fair, with D-VHS it will be either a pristine picture or no picture, once the tape degrades enough.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Because this is digital data (0s and 1s) this picture will not undergo the same wear process that current VHS goes through. The picture is either viewed or not.

I agree over time the tape could deteriorate, but I am not going to make judgements until the product is to market for us to view. I really do think the tape will hold up well just based on my experience from using data tapes and the longevity they possess.

As for totally bashing D-VHS all the time, could you please provide me with an alternative way to record HDTV? As of right now D-VHS looks like the winner.

J

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
could you please provide me with an alternative way to record HDTV? As of right now D-VHS looks like the winner.
No, I couldn't provide you with an alternative. But that doesn't make d-vhs good, since you still won't have a way to record HDTV that will last.

Right now, I can wait for recordable hd-dvd in order to record HDTV and have it last forever. Can you provide me with a 'good' alternative to waiting? No, d-vhs won't last forever, so right now, waiting looks like a winner.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Who's to say that DVDs will last forever? I've had a couple of older discs quit working on me and while its possible that those were just manafacturing defects I'm not convinced that my collection will last forever. I really don't even feel the need for the format to last forever, a decade or so will suit my needs. By that time I'll probably have a computer hard drive loaded with hundreds of DVD quality films avalible at the click of a mouse. Its impossible to make an intellegent statement about the reliability of a format that has yet to be finalised, but I'm confident that D-VHS can be made to provide extended use without rapid deteriopration like standard VHS.

SteveA

Supporting Actor
I am beginning to understand why studios are so eager to support D-VHS. If they can get consumers hooked on a format that isn't nearly as durable as a disc-based format, then they think they might be able to prevent HD-DVD from gaining favor. If they have to release pristine, high-definition copies of their library films, they would at least like to ensure that they need to be replaced from time to time. They're just trying to make sure they can keep making money off their films for as long as possible.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Carl, not to be a big nay-sayer, but I've had disk crashes and it would be tragic to lose all your movies when that happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks