Another reason our U.S. Postal Service is lacking

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Perry, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I am in the middle of an eBay transaction for which I paid $390 for an item a month ago and have not yet received it. My main beef is with the deadbeat seller, of course, but the U.S. Postal Service isn't making things any better.
    The seller on Friday finally gave me a tracking number for the package, but didn't mention which carrier he used. So I went online to UPS, Fedex, and the USPS to check them all. The problem is that while UPS and Fedex (and I'm sure every other carrier) tell you if the number is invalid, the USPS gives the same message for ANY number entered: "Tracking Service has not been purchased for this item." So I have no idea whether the number he gave me is legit or if I'm entering it in the wrong format. If I type VB247959386US or 11111, it's same message. At least with the other carriers, typing in 11111 gets you a warning that the number isn't even a valid tracking number!
    What kind of friggin' idiot designed the USPS's website tracking?

2. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

Have you ever thought about going to an actual Post Office and talking to someone?

They should be able to tell you if the number is valid or not.

3. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    The USPS is lacking because they can afford to be. If anybody else were to run their business like that then they would have been unemployed long ago, but all the postal service has to do to stay afloat is beg congress for more cash.

4. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

See if you can find another carrier that will come to your house, pick up a letter, and deliver to the recipient on the other side of the country, for 37 cents...

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

6. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Actually, I'm kinda surprised that the USPS even has a website.

7. Brian Perry

8. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

9. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron

10. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III

How much do you think the price of a stamp would be if the postal service had to pay their own bills with the price of a stamp rather than bleeding cash just to be bailed out with tax dollars?

11. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

12. Brian Perry

13. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

To tell you how bad USPS has got. Ive had the same mail man for years. He delivers everything. If i have a problem he helps me out. A few times a package i have recieved has been open and he rang our doorbell or left a notewith a form in case something is missing. Well the other day i was home and the mail truck pulls up and i notice its someone elese today. They put the mail in our box and drive away. I get the mail and there is a package for me. Well the padded envelope is open and nothing is in it. The idiot just put a empty open package sent by them into my mailbox.

capt

14. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron

15. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Personally, I like USPS a hell of a lot better than UPS

If you want something here in 2 days from UPS, it's $12, $4 with USPS, $5 tracked and insured.

16. Brian Perry

Aaron,

I agree -- if there ever was a movement to centralize mail pickups, there would have to be major changes in the Post Office's infrastructure. But I think it could be done. Just imagine the opposite: Pretend that's the way we do things now and then, in the latest Post Office managers' meeting, someone suggested that they hand deliver the mail to each address in the country. I think they'd check that guy into a drug clinic!

17. Stephen L

Stephen L Second Unit

18. Brian Perry

Stephen,

The problem is with the USPS's web tracking software--there is no editing done on the input.

The seller gave me a tracking number of VB247759386US, but did not specify the carrier. I entered this number into UPS's and Fedex's tracking programs and in both cases was told that the tracking number itself was invalid. I therefore concluded the seller used the USPS. I entered the number into their website tracking box and hit enter. I received the message "Tracking service has not been purchased for this item." That statement implies that the number does indeed exist, but the shipper didn't pay for tracking. I was skeptical, though, and as a test, I then entered a bogus number, 1111, into the box and hit enter. SAME MESSAGE. In other words, there is no way to know if the tracking number the seller gave me is real or fake.

19. Tomoko Noguchi

Tomoko Noguchi Second Unit

Jeff,
    I had an interesting experience. In Japan, we have choice with Fedex, UPS-Yamato, and the post office. I had to send something quickly to the US the other day. UPS-Yamato was 2600 yen for a document package and the post office was 1200 yen. Now, I know part of this is Japanese postal services, but UPS-Yamato said 5-7 days on express mail. The post office said the same amount of time guaranteed (I went with the post office). Well, I checked the package later in the week on the US Post offices website and it was there in 2 days![​IMG]

20. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Tomoko, yes, the 1200 yen is for EMS, and it's a great deal! I get stuff from CD Japan in as little as 36 hours!
    The only problem is that if the package is over 3-4 DVDs the box gets too big and the price goes thru the roof
    Next time I'm in Japan, an aquaintence runs a store called Hobbylink Japan (you may have seen him on the Sunday morning news, the only kakujin I ever saw reporting on Japanese TV anyway [​IMG] ) and he gets bulk rates because he ships by the pallet. So I plan on schedualing a visit to
    his facility halfway through my shopping in the Tokyo area [​IMG]