Another question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gregg Pearson, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Gregg Pearson

Gregg Pearson Auditioning

Hey guys...I think Im ready to buy, but have a few questions...

First, I found the Onkyo s595 for $378.00 online along with the NSP1's for $249, and the PB10 for 179. I think these are pretty good prices, but what do I know..

My question is, what type of cables and wires will I need to set up this system? I have a Mitsibishi 55in wide screen and the same brand DVD player.

Im am totally ignorant as to what I need to purchase and how much all the stuff will cost. Any help will be appreciated..

2. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    you can get the Onkyo for $359 at J&R. just call and tell them that i got it for that price. i'd also go with the Sony SA-WM40 instead of the PB10. the PB12 will be better than the Sony, but many here consider the WM40 to outperform the smaller PB10. the Sony can be had for cheap at www.etronics.com
    as for cables, you'll need:
    - a digital cable (either coax or optical, depending on what your DVD player has) to go to the receiver. dont spend too much here as you will not notice the difference.
    - a 75 ohm RCA male-to-male patch cable (cheap at RadioShack)
    - you'll need speaker wire. go to Home Depot and get 12- or 14-gauge wire.
    - you'll need a set of component video cables (NOT composite). these are the red/green/blue RCA-looking cables that can, again, be found at RadioShack. i personally would spend around $50 on a good set of component cables to get the best possible picture. look at the For Sale/Trade board here or the AR line at accessories4less.com (here's a link)
    good luck!

3. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

make sure you are getting free shipping on the speakers and sub, i know buy.com and j&r's both have free shipping on jbl equipment. i have the both the speakers and the sub, and my suitemate has the WM40, i could possibly do a comparison between the two this weekend. what will you be listening to mostly? i ended up getting the jbl sub because i figured it would blend with the other speakers better, looks a lot better, didnt need any modding, and wasnt any more expensive, but who knows if i made the right decision

4. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

ps. the one thing i do sort of wish the pb10 had was a line out so that getting a second sub would have been a possibility, but chances are ill never do that anyways....