What's new

Another Power Cord Subject?? (1 Viewer)

Eric T

Second Unit
Great thread guys.

I just wanted to offer my own experience on the subject of power cables. I was previously a non-believer like many of you. Then a couple of weeks ago, I was in a high-end audio shop looking for a new DVD player. While I was there, the store owner offered to play me his flagship system, which consisted of Krell components and power amps, B&W Signature 800 speakers, and some VERY expensive cabling from Purist Audio Design. These cables are all enclosed in a tube which contains some sort of shielding gel/fluid. Total cost of this system with the cables was around $100k.

I was astounded by the clarity and realism of the sound. After listening for a while, the owner removed the $1500 power cord that was feeding the CD player and replaced it with the factory cord. The result was a flatter sound with less dynamics and reduced clarity. I never would have believed it if I hadn't heard it with my own ears. But I seriously doubt that I would hear any difference in my own modest system.

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
Well, I think you can thank the "I need a DBT" side/ people of the equation for that. And this thread is a prime example. Someone asks a question about if there are any two pronged power cords for a 49tx. He didn't ask for a debate. But sure enough, it starts out with "you shouldn't spend your money on that, you should spend it on this, or that".
Actually, I'm not a big DBT advocate. I do believe in doing some occasional blind testing, or at least side-by-side testing where you can switch back and forth instantaneously to hear the differences. It's very easy to fool yourself into believing differences, especially when you're trying to justify having spent a lot of money on something many experienced audiophiles claim to be bunk.
Like I said, I used to be a believer, too. I read the audiophile mags faithfully, talked to dealers and just took it for granted. Ironically none of those dealers ever tried to demonstrate it for me.
Once upone a time, during one of these "which cable should I buy" type threads, I found out that lots of seasoned audiophiles think it's all bunk. I did some testing of my own and realized that there was one less thing in my system to worry about. I'm grateful that they jumped in to offer their opinion.
I don't consider it my duty to "warn" others, but someone else replied in such a manner and I happened to voice my agreement. Looking back, the tone was rather sarcastic, but hey, that's kinda my nature so :P.
-Mike...

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
next time bring your own cord in and you do the switching...won't be the first time a fast one is pulled that's for sure! or maybe...just a poorly designed cd player?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks