What's new

Another PLII question (1 Viewer)

Butch C

Second Unit
1. Why would I use PL when my reciever comes with PLII? Is it there just for nostalgia?

2. Why cant PLII work with stereo DVD's when it works with stereo satelite broadcasts?

3. My parents have a Pioneer HTP-210. PL only Produces center channel or stereo from the mains sound. Thier cable box has only 1 audio out...is that the problem and if so whats the solution.

4. Off topic...I have a dish net 301 package and Ive noticed the picture is bad (not enuf bandwith I guess)my question is should I upgrade to the 501? I think it produces DD sound but is it worth it being that the sound might be as bad as the picture...PLII from my Kenwood 504 is actually not bad with the Dish Broadcasts.

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
1) Pretty much :)
2) DPL II works fine with all my 2 channel DVDs and should with yours.
3) Not familiar with this unit. How old is it? Are you sure it is Pro Logic decoding and the old old Dolby Surround decoding?
4) No clue, I do not watch TV only DVDs :)

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
1. Somewhere, I remember reading (from Roger Dressler of Dolby Labs) that they left a version of plain jane Pro Logic on with DPL II for poor audio signal conditions. Old Pro Logic has mono surrounds which might make for less noise.

2. DPL II can work for ANY 2 channel programming as long as it's true stereo. Mono stuff is center speaker only!

3. As I noted in 2, 1 signal means you've got mono. If you go from DPL II to Stereo mode, you've still got mono. Both mains are playing the same thing.

4. Upgrading to a better dish receiver won't hurt. I'm no whiz at dishes, but sounds like a problem with your setup, not a bandwidth issue. You should check your alignment, signal strength, cabling, and satellite receiver itself. I'm not aware that older equipment means bad picture (at least without a direct cause...)

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
>Why would I use PL when my reciever comes with PLII?<

Butch,

DPL2 adds an interesting effect to the repetoire available for us to use at home, and is clearly better in enhancing two-channel stereo material. However there are times when good ol' DPL has its place.

If you want to watch a movie in its original aspect ratio, you probably want to hear it the way the producer, director, and mixer intended it to be heard. In movies shown in "Dolby Stereo" and recorded only in two channels for home use: this is straight DPL. DPL2 provides an interesting and sometimes exciting variation. However, from time to time, it will give you a recreation of the soundtrack that is not what was originally intended (similar to what happens with pan and scam all the time).

So, even in systems with DPL2 the original Pro-Logic still has good use.

Marty

ChrisSk

Grip
2) Many recievers don't have the processing power to decode a DD2.0 soundtrack, and then apply PL2 processing. The solution is to either use the analogue outputs on your DVD player or to set the player to output PCM in it's setup menus.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks