What's new

Another Please Advise A First-Time Purchaser (1 Viewer)

JaredBing

Auditioning
I'm finishing a basement family room and plan to add a new HT system with a projection TV (most likely a 51" Sony) and an audio package. I'd like to ask here for advice on the audio.

My wife and I had looked at a lot of HT-in a box systems, mostly Sony ones around $500-600. I'm starting to think I may want to purchase separate components. Here's the features that are important to me.

? Would like a 5-disc DVD changer either with the audio package or separate.
? I only ran wire in the ceiling for 2 rear speakers so I'll go with a 5.1 system and be happy with it.
? I would like to be able to connect all my video sources to the audio receiver and just run one cable to the TV to minimize complexity of switching. I would like to use component video cables for this as much as possible to be satisfied I'm getting the best quality picture. Likely video sources include DVD, VCR (who cares if it's not component video), HDTV box, maybe cable/satellite, maybe a game system later (so one set of connectors in front woul be nice).
? My wife wants the speakers to be silver and not black so they look nicer mounted on the white ceiling. I just want them to sound rockin.

I want the best quality audio I can get with these features and hopefully in the above price range, or with luck I could sell the wife on another hundred or two, not much more. I like Sony quality for most things, and have heard good things about Onkyo (but the highly-rated HT-S755DVC system doesn't have component video in) and Harmon-Kardon for audio.

What would you do if you were me? Also, how bad did I screw up by only running 16-gauge speaker wire in the ceiling for the rear speakers?

Mark All

Second Unit
Hi Jared,
Welcome to the forum. If you haven't already, I'd suggest a good starting point is to go to Crutchfield.com and use their Web site to research what is available on the market. They have close-up photos and excellent descriptions of several all-in-a-box systems that seem to be in your price range. I'd suggest Sony, Onkyo, or Yamaha. There's not much difference in quality between those brands. All have component out. Sony adds SACD to their systems and Yamaha adds DVD-Audio. If I understand correctly, your budget for everything would top out at around $700. Crutchfield has most of their systems on sale right now, or you could also look for the same things in Tweeter, Circuit City, or similar stores if you didn't want to buy on-line. Most of the systems seem to be in silver right now--it's a trendy color for these systems. You'd have a harder time matching everything if you went for separates, and you'd easily blow your budget buying a reciever, DVD player, and speakers. Don't worry about the 16 gauge speaker wire in terms of sound quality. I think estimates range up to 100 feet, although I'd only go out to 50 foot runs myself. It is a good idea to keep speaker wire away from parallel electrical runs though to prevent interference. If it is in-wall it should be specified for in-wall use to meet most building codes. If you do need to swap it out it should be easy enough to pull more through unless it was attached inside the wall/ceiling somehow.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Mark is right it will be very easy to switch out the wires if they arent attached anywhere and are just run through the ceiling, all you have to do is tie a string to one end then pull it out tie the new wires to the string and pull it back, you could also piggy back that rear center wire if you so desire :)

Jared I would also suggest you consider saving up more money before you go and buy... the system you think is right for you now may not be right for you in a year, when i first started in on the home theater stuff i just went to the sony store and bough what i thought i needed, i never considered thigns liek speaker gauge and such, i just tried to match the output of the receiver i got to the speakers i bought. but since then my priorties ahve changed greatly and i have had to go out and buy a new receiver and dvd player, and honestly once i get a bigger place im goign to get new speakers too. All I am saying is carefully consider your options before you buy, are there enough inputs, is the sound quality what you want/need from the receiver. it is better to save up a little than to re buy stuff later.

check out my web page and you will see what i had/have i just spent more on my new dvd player than i did on my first receiver and all my speakers combined..... something to think about no?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks