Another plea for connection(s) help

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by dave snyder, Jan 21, 2006.

1. dave snyder

dave snyder Auditioning

Just ordered a new rig for the bedroom. The reason I'm posting a plea for help is that I've already downloaded .pdf files from Sony which only serve to provide conflicting/contradicting information about their gear. Also search HTF and got some info as well.

Here is what is enroute for delivery mid next week. Hopeful for recommendations on using the inputs/outputs most effectively and determine cable requirements prior to the rig showing up her at the house.

New gear includes:

Sony KDFE50A10 - HDMI & Optic capable
    Sony DAVFX80 - HTIB has HDMI out
    Pioneer HD cable box - NO HDMI outs

What is throwing me a curveball is the fact that the Sony 'dream system' HTIB combines DVD/AVR into a single box. Some things I do understand are running an optic line from DVD to AVR for sound, and component cables to the display from the HD cable box and a Coax cable back to the AVR for cable sound. Our HT in the basement works great, but the 'scaled down' HTIB has me scratching my head.

We want to watch TV and DVD movies (sans teenage kids!) with a minimal of switching and effort.

Advice both welcome and appreciated. Thank you in advance.

dave snyder

2. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

I'm confused. If the DVD is combined with the AVR then why is there a need for the optical connection you mentioned form DVD to AVR? It would be clearer if you posted what inputs/outputs are available on each device and especially info on the combined AVR/DVD.

Without any more info I'd guess
    -- HDMI from AVR/DVD to TV to carry the DVD video (shouldn't need audio since that's internal)
    -- Cable box component video out to component in on TV
    -- cable box rca red/white output to AVR input for cable TV audio or, if available, digital coax (not the RF coax) instead for audio from cable STB

3. dave snyder

dave snyder Auditioning

Dick:

Thanks for trying to help. Here are some better facts regarding both pieces of gear:

Sony Dream System HTIB:

Inputs and Outputs

• Analog Audio Input(s): 2 (Rear)
    • Optical Audio Input(s): 1 (Rear)
    • Coaxial Audio Digital Input(s): 1 (Rear)
    • Composite Video Input(s): 2 (Rear)
    • Composite Video Output(s): 1 (Rear)
    • S-Video Output(s): 1 (Rear)
    • Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr) Output(s): 1 (Rear)
    • HDMI Connection Output(s): 1 (Rear)

Sony KDFE50A10 TV:

Inputs and Outputs

• Input(s): PC Input (D-sub 15) + Audio Input (Stereo Mini) 1 (1 Front 1 / 0 Rear)
    • Input(s): HDMI1 + Audio L&R 1 ( 1 Rear)
    • Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr ) Input(s): 3 (1 Front / 2 Rear)
    • S-Video Input(s): 1 (1 Rear)
    • Composite Video Input(s): 3 (1 Front / 2 Rear)
    • Input(s): RF 75-ohm F-type 1 (1 Rear)
    • Input(s): Cable 75-ohm F-type (1 (1 Rear)
    • Input(s): CableCARD™ PCMCIA-type 1 (1 Rear) slot
    • Input(s): Total Audio Input (LR, RCA-pin) excluding HDMI 5 (1 Front / 4 Rear)
    • Digital Audio Output(s): (Optical) 1 (0 Front / 1 Rear)
    • Audio Output: Audio Output (Variable/Fixed) 1 (1 Rear)

Hope this helps you and maybe some others steer me toward the best possible setup.

Thanks again for asking for more info to help. Much appreciated.

dave snyder