What's new

Another Pixar "Killer" Surfaces (1 Viewer)

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
According to this this article IBM (That major maker of motion pictures!) and Threshold Digital Research Labs are teaming up to produce CG movies in less time then Pixar does now. (I wonder if they understand that faster doesn't always mean better. Pixar films succeed because of the story as well as animation).

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I think it all depends on Story doesn't it? Wasn't Disney's "Dinosaur" the most expensive, complex mixed animation-CG movie ever? How did that fair at the box office? Yawn. I'll wait. What makes Pixar work is the stories and approach.. as well as the CG.

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
I could make an all CG-film in less time than Pixar does.

Of course, it would be the most hideous pile of steaming cinematic vermin-ridden excrement since "A Guy Thing".

Pixar excels at what they do because they take the time to do it right, not because they are "first out of the gate."

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Several thoughts...

The article does not attempt to address the 'artistic' aspects of film creation, it deals with the technical limitations facing digital filmmakers. Whether or not the new studio will attract the right talent, and deliver films that can hold their own against Pixar remains to be seen. Given the scope of the enterprise, I wouldn't dismiss them out of hand. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so there is no need to rush to Pixar's defense.

Producing faster work, means that the developers can either:
a) Get more 'licks' into the work, resulting in a product that is more refined.
b) Use the allocated time to create more complex works.
c) Some combination of the above.

I believe the comments about the oil industry are refering to the use of 'on demand' computing; i.e. computing as a utility or generic resource.

- Walter.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
The film mentioned in the article is still a year away from completion. They've been working on it for a year already. All the tools available in the world to do this work faster cannot compensate for a good script, great voice over work and artistic vision... something Pixar has in spades. And Pixar is investing in more computer power to help them reduce the time necessary for each feature. We'll have to see how this new enterpirse does in the artistic area.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Pixar doesn't succeed because they do CG. CG is simply what enables Pixar to tell the stories they do against the backdrops they select.

They succeed because Story Sells. Pixar's films have all had scripts that were twice the quality of most of the films that came out in each year a Pixar film did. It starts with writing, creating characters and situations that you believe and care in.

Toy Story could have been done as a simple buddy movie; the two characters that meet and clash only to find lifelong friendship in the end could have been a pair of cops, two school kids, anyone.

CG enabled Pixar to set the story as a cowboy doll clashing against the new wave of toys represented by a spaceman toy.

It made something mundane magical.

I welcome as many players to the CG movie scene as there are theater audiences to consume their product.

But they should make sure they've hired writers and perhaps a director before they worry about how many computers are in the render farm, or which celebrity voices are showing up in the credits.

Story Sells.

Eric Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder if this is simply an application of IBM's new "rent-a-supercomputer by the hour" service they are starting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks