What's new

another norton ghost question. (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Joey,

Greatly appreciate that -- however, the tutorial
is for Ghost 2003 and I am using Ghost 9

I wonder if it is worth stepping down to the 2003
version or not.

Otherwise, in case of a system crash, I'll just format,
install XP and GHOST and then RESTORE the image.

Jonny_L

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmmm, did some diggin around Ron.

It looks like Norton completely re-tooled Ghost in this new edition and apparently the Installation CD is ALSO a bootdisk. I can't say for sure because I have 2003, but my advice is to toss it in and try it out. You obviously don't have to restore anything, just make sure it goes into The Recovery Environment...whatever that is, its not in 2003.

Joey_R

Stunt Coordinator
Ron:

I guess I was hoping the Ghost 2003 tutorial would closely mirror the Ghost 9 interface. Apparently not! That being said, your comment:
"Otherwise, in case of a system crash, I'll just format,
install XP and GHOST and then RESTORE the image."

seems to ignore the largest benefit of Ghost, IMO. Installing XP, updates, and other programs is usually a 2-3+ hour job, even with a high speed connection.

Ghost, when used as I described in the above post, completely RESTORES the hard drive (with OS) in 15-20 minutes!

A partial restore, as you described, is really not Ghosts' forte'. It can do it, but, so can a ZIP utility. Ghost really shines with FULL partiton and FULL hard disk restores. I would encorage you to further research and experiment with Ghost 9.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Joey,

Actually, if I understand this all correctly,
all I would need to do is install two things
after formatting a hard drive crash....

1. Windows XP
2. Norton Ghost

Then, using GHOST, I simply RECOVER the image
I saved and my XP will be loaded exactly as it
was before with all XP2 UPDATES and programs
already loaded.

Hopefully I am under the correct assumption here.

Jonny_L

Stunt Coordinator

You are ;)

Really the only real important component to ghost is the image you make when you backup. That much is certain across all versions. As long as your installation disc is the bootdisk like i've read, then there should'nt be any worries about re-installing anything. Just toss in the disc, tell your bios to boot from the cd first, when it does and goes into whatever program it uses to restore the pc then you open the image and let it run until finished.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jonny,

No...

My install disc does not boot as you said. Tried it.

So....

I can still just install Windows XP fresh, then Ghost
and then restore the image?

Jonny_L

Stunt Coordinator
Yup, you can.

Hmmmm....after looking around for similar questions about Ghost 9 thats what I was able to come up with - Either the installation or a separate disc that is supposed to come with the package should boot the ghost program. I didnt mention a 2nd disc because I only read it once and it wasnt that coherent. That sucks :confused: Either way people seem VERY confused by ghost 9 in general and specifically the lack of a tool in the program that will just make one.

Either way you're right though, install windows then ghost and restore. Its more work and takes longer but produces the same result.

On a related topic, I didnt like norton antivirus 2004 last year so i switched to mcafee. I hope this doesnt signal any kind of trend on norton's part. Traditionally theyve been excellent.

UPDATE -

Here are the instructions I found straight from Norton

web link
---------
How to boot a computer into the recovery environment

Situation:
You need to know how to boot into the recovery environment.

Solution:
When restoring a computer in the recovery environment you must use the Norton Ghost CD, Symantec LiveState Recovery CD, or Symantec Recovery Disk (available with Norton SystemWorks Premier) to first boot into the recovery environment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: The recovery environment requires a minimum of 256 MB of RAM to run.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To boot a computer into the recovery environment
If you want to use a USB device while you are running the recovery environment, you must first attach the device, then continue with the next step.
Do one of the following:
Insert the Norton Ghost CD into the media drive of the computer.
Insert the Symantec LiveState Recovery CD into the media drive of the computer.
Insert the Symantec Recovery Disk CD (available with Norton SystemWorks Premier) into the media drive of the computer.
Immediately restart the computer.
You may need to modify your system to make it bootable from the CD.
Watch the computer screen. When the prompt "Press any key to boot from CD" appears, you have approximately five seconds to press a key to begin booting into the recovery environment.
If you need to install special RAID or SCSI drivers for the computer’s hard disk subsystem, press when prompted during the boot into the recovery environment.
You should always use the latest Windows XP or Windows 2003 Server version of the particular SCSI driver.
Read the license agreement, then click Accept.
If you decline, you cannot start the recovery environment and your computer will reboot.
If the backup image is located on a network, start networking services by clicking Yes. If the backup image is on your local machine, click No.
In the recovery environment main window, click Time zone not set.
In the Select Time Zone window, select the time zone location you are in. Setting the correct time zone will help show file dates and times correctly.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jonny (and all)

I can't thank you enough for all the help
and research you have done to answer my questions.

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
traditionally all norton products with the exception of Ghost are junk, their antivirus leaves alot to be desired, it has a nasty habit of taking over machines it is installed on. I havent used Norton in ages, and while I found Mcafee a cut above norton it was kind of annoying. I tried AVG by suggestion of a friend and I really like it. they have awesome support, the program is short and sweet and does better than most everyother antivirus software around, they even have a free version which totally kills norton and mcafee both. Ive used alot of software in my day but the top 3 antivirus programs in my book are;

1. f-secure
2. Nod32
3. AVG

keep in mind these opinions are based on my years and experience with working on and building other peoples computers and dealing with alot of different softwares.

Joey_R

Stunt Coordinator
Ron said:

"Actually, if I understand this all correctly,
all I would need to do is install two things
after formatting a hard drive crash....

1. Windows XP
2. Norton Ghost

Then, using GHOST, I simply RECOVER the image
I saved and my XP will be loaded exactly as it
was before with all XP2 UPDATES and programs
already loaded."

Unless Ghost 9 is entirely different from previous releases, this strategy is incorrect and unnecessay. Assuming you have a complete partition or hard drive backup image (*.gho"), here's what you do:

1. DO NOT RE-INSTALL WINDOWS;
2. Boot the computer using the Ghost boot disk (this boot floppy or CD acts BOTH as the OS and the restore program);
3. After Ghost is started, select restore partition (or hard drive) FROM image;
4. Locate image file on DVD, partition, or external drive;
5. Restore partition (or hard drive).
6. After completion, reboot from the newly restored partition or hard drive (this, of course, assumes you are restoring the boot drive). The drive will act exactly like it did on the day it was imaged.

This whole process takes 15-20 minutes, start to finish.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Joey,

Appreciate theses instructions, but as I
have indicated above, I don't have the boot
disc that came with Norton Ghost 9 and
it doesn't look like one can be made.

Users who are viewing this thread