Another nice use for Pro Logic 2: mono DVDs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marc Carra, Aug 13, 2001.

1. Marc Carra

Marc Carra Supporting Actor

Last night, I watched Jaws 2, which has a mono audio track. When listening to a mono DVD, you normally have 2 options: identical (well, mono!?) sound from both front mains or mono from the center channel. I've never really liked either. Playback through the mains always sounded fuller, but for any off center listener, the vocals are detached from screen. And center channel only playback never seems as 'full' sounding. Last night I listened to Jaws 2 , using Pro-logic 2's music mode. This takes the vocals and anchors them in the center channel, but also 'spreads' some the the audio to the mains. Surrounds are not used, of course. The resulting sound is still mono, as intended, but much fuller sounding! If you try the same thing with Pro Logic 2 in Movie mode, it just produces center-channel only audio. So the music mode really works great for mono tracks. Try it!
    Marc.

2. Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V Supporting Actor

Tina
    Thank you so very much for the tip there, Marc. It just so happens that I am planning on bringing in an Onkyo TX-DS696 Home Theater Receiver, which happens to feature Dolby Pro Logic II along with Dolby Digital and DTS. And in getting myself together for my HT upgrade--which, for 2001, has already gotten away with three new pieces this month alone with more on the way--I had often wondered how this new Dolby technology would fare on monaural motion pictures I happen to own on DVD AND laserdisc. With this, I have now something of an idea to ponder as I cross this twain on such flicks as The Detective and some of the other Criterion LD titles I happen to own with no more than a mono soundtrack. Thanks again, Marc. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    The Acid Queen Still Rocks and Souls!!!! ;D

3. John GB

John GB Stunt Coordinator

My Yamaha has a "Mono Movie" mode which does essentially the same thing. It places the sound up front using both the mains and center. I can also use the "5-Channel Stereo" mode and fill the room, but the mono movie mode has a better overall effect.
    ------------------