Another newbie with a series of questions....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andy_Bales, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Andy_Bales

Andy_Bales Auditioning

TIA. Feel free to post links instead of repeating this usual stuff.
    I have been looking at Toshiba 65H82's at BestBuy, the Sony equivalents, and the Mits also. I understand hardware (got a MSEE...but you know what that means...can talk about filter circuits but not understand HDTV standards...) and figure I better get it right before I go buy one. I was very tempted to just mail order a 65HDX82 since in comes in two parts for ease of access to the basement, and has alot added mumbo jumbo, like the stretch screen. I want the best, but I don't want to pay an extra thousand for something I can't see due to my other limitations. I am in the $2k-$3k range.
    1) We use cable TV and have only a few HDTV channels here in MidWest USA, and plan to stay with cable even knowing it is worse than DSS. VHS will still be used on this one, but like most of us we will gradually move to all DVDs. I think I will need a splitter to run cable to both the HDTV control, the VHS and VHS-TV also. So stretch is good for all this old stuff, right? These all have 2 cable ins(HDTV box&VHS), and 1 old three way in (PS2)? The 65H82 doesn't, does the 65HDX82, the web site doesn't say?
    2)We have rather poor lighting in the basement. I installed canned lights and not enough of them. We will be sitting back about 12ft (4m) from the Screen. They are on dimmers. On the 57's, 12ft looked great on a good Best Buy with DSS. Will we do ok for a 65" on plan old cable or VHS or will we suffer eye burnout from jitter/raster noise magnified to the point of pain in the dark?
    3) I also want to connect the stereo speakers (I have a good expensive pair), so I want the TV to output a TV remote controlable audio signal to a non-remote control stereo amp system so it can be controlled from the coach. I was told the Toshiba does have remote controled audio out, but nothing about the others.
    4)How can I get a subwoofer working in this setup? Do any of the TVs have a power out for one? My amp only has 2 outputs, L&R. Am I thinking right on this? Upgrading the stereo rcvr/amp is not going to be option after spending on the big screen. Guess I could get a selfpowered sub and run it from the stereo's recvr secound audio out then? Anyone tried this stunt?
    5) PS2 game station will be used. Also as the DVD player for awhile. The kids don't really play it that much and vary the games, but we will have watch the pause or move them to a older tv when friends come over. I know that PS2 is a fair quality video producer, but I will have live with that also.
    Is a 65HDX82 really going to be noticable or should I just get the 65H82 or 65HD82, or is someother brand a better fit? At Best Buy, the Mit57 did not look as good as the Toshiba 57H82 to me as is. But some of you here say the Mit does a better job on cable channels and vhs...so now I don't know. I really want a good image and I want it all with junk inputs...oh, I will just take really good.[​IMG]

2. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

You ask many questions, Grasshopper. Here are just a few reactions. Others can fill in the blanks with actual information.

I'd spend money on a new receiver before I bought a subwoofer. You need Dolby Digital and I don't believe the TV is going to give you that (I could be wrong). Even running just the L&R through a good receiver will be better than running off the TV, IMHO. Then you can begin to add the extras: center channel, surround channels, and subwoofer. Just my opinion.

You will migrate to DVD from VHS much more quickly than you think. With that size of screen, VHS will look like crap.

Enjoy!

Jan

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Old-fashioned research will yield the answers as well. Some TVs provide outputs for external speakers and even subs, but they don't possess juice enough to drive them well. Count on an external sound system that is able, at the least, to decode and play back Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1.

4. Andy_Bales

Andy_Bales Auditioning

Thanks.

I'll be honest and admit that I did not think that digital audio 5.1 outputs where even available. I will forget the subwoofer completely and finding one that outputs both remote audio control and 5.1. That should cover me good enough for now, and then when I get a newer rcvr.

Is cable going to negate the effects of spending extra money on a fancy large screen?

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Andy,

Your 5.1 digital audio is going to come from your dvd player and HD tuner or cable box, not the tv itself. One routes an optical or coaxial digital cable to the receiver from the dvd player or HD tuner, and the video via component cables either directly to the tv, or to the receiver and thence to the tv if the receiver has component video switching.

Only tvs with built-in HD tuners have digital audio outputs, and they will work only for those few HD broadcasts that have 5.1 sound. These built in tuners are almost all OTA only, not capable of tuning HD cable signals.