Another Newbie Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Scott_Mac, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac Auditioning

Hi everyone. We've just bought a new house. It's almost finished but I've stalled the contractor so I can get the projector wiring into my HT room. The problem is that I haven't decided yet on the projector. I've got power into the ceiling 12.5 ft from where the screen will be and will decide on the size of the screen later. What I need to do right now is run cables for the projector. From what I've read on the boards, I should probably run composite, s-video, component and dvi. Should I really run all those so I have the bases covered? If so, should I run raw cable and put the ends on later? Any recommendations on what type of cable to run for each type and a place to buy it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I was in your same position 3 years ago. I ran a conduit, I would suggest 3" and I fed the cable into the pipe, connected the segments of pipe together, and lay the pipe in place all at the same time when I was doing my setup before the contractor came in to install all of the drywall. In my setup I have a 12' section then a 90 degree elbow then another 12' section. The ceilings are 12' high and the projector is mounted around 12' away from the front wall. I would not run the cables and install the ends afterwards but if you lay the cables and pipe as you are going, you won't have to do that.

3. Paul-D

Paul-D Stunt Coordinator

I would agree with Neil in using at least a 3" conduit. That way if you ever upgrade projector, or if technology changes and the size of cable changes (or at least the size of the connection) you'll be able to still run new cable without tearing up the whole installation. I would also suggest that you think about current surround sound speaker configurations (5.1, 6.1, 7.1) and what the future may hold as well. I would run pairs of speaker wire to a lot of places, again for future upgrades.
    Good luck to you and keep us posted on how things turn out.

4. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac Auditioning

Thanks for the suggestions. Since first posting my question and reading the responses, I've been looking at a lot cables and I can see why I need to have plenty of room. Now, I just need to figure out how I'm going to get a 3" conduit around and through the maze of heating duct, plumbing, etc. that have already been installed while making as few twists and turns as possible. Do you recommend pvc or something else. Also, I'm going to need to do a 90 degree bend at the minimum. What kind of bend radius is too tight?

5. SteveLeach

SteveLeach Stunt Coordinator

You might consider using "LIQUID TIGHT CONDUIT". It is flexible comes in 50' rolls, should be available by the foot from your local Home Depot or similar store. Using this would allow you to snake the conduit up and around all types of obstacles. The only down side is, the largest diameter available is 2 inches.

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    And whatever you do just make sure it is up to code.

7. John_Stra

John_Stra Extra

I would for sure put enough audiophile speaker wire in the wall for future, some cat5 for an ir repeater, and take lots of digital pictures.

-J

8. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac Auditioning

You guys are great! Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going shopping!

9. Keith Outhouse

Keith Outhouse Stunt Coordinator

Careful about using flex conduit. It's easy to install, but can be difficult to get wires thru. Always leave a string in the conduit to pull a new wire thru. Remember to attach a new string when you pull the wire so you still have one for future pulls.

10. Jon Bell

Jon Bell Stunt Coordinator

If you run any cables that have the connectors already attached, wrap the connectors in a plastic bag or something else to protect them from the drywallers. I had to scrape sheetrock mud off of my component cables because I didn't do this.