1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Another newbie interconnect question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Miller, Sep 13, 2001.

1. Scott Miller

Scott Miller Agent

When hooking up a DVD with a 5.1 decoder to a digital ready receiver, can you use 3 sets of 2 cables or do you need 6 individual cables? All of the signals should be the same, right?

2. Dennis Jacob

Dennis Jacob Agent

You need to double check what your plugging into. Most DVD players have a single digital output in either optical or coax. This would be preferred over 6 analog outputs. Some of the outputs you're looking at maybe video too.
    ------------------

3. Kelly Payne

Kelly Payne Agent

Dennis,
    I believe that Scott has to use the on-board decoder in his DVD player, thus he needs all the seperate cables (Until he upgrades his receiver).
    -Kelly

4. Scott Miller

Scott Miller Agent

Dennis, my receiver is only "digital ready" so it doesn't have any optical or coax inputs, only the 6 analog audio. So, with the DVD I'm getting this weekend, the Sony DVP-NS400D, I have to use the 5.1 outputs.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i've got the same setup you do scott. i run the 6 cables from the back of my dvd to my receiver. i just bought some rat-shack gold plated jobs.
    works great...until i upgrade my receiver!
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.