Another newbie interconnect question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Miller, Sep 13, 2001.

1. Scott Miller

Scott Miller Agent

When hooking up a DVD with a 5.1 decoder to a digital ready receiver, can you use 3 sets of 2 cables or do you need 6 individual cables? All of the signals should be the same, right?

2. Dennis Jacob

Dennis Jacob Agent

You need to double check what your plugging into. Most DVD players have a single digital output in either optical or coax. This would be preferred over 6 analog outputs. Some of the outputs you're looking at maybe video too.
    ------------------

3. Kelly Payne

Kelly Payne Agent

Dennis,
    I believe that Scott has to use the on-board decoder in his DVD player, thus he needs all the seperate cables (Until he upgrades his receiver).
    -Kelly

4. Scott Miller

Scott Miller Agent

Dennis, my receiver is only "digital ready" so it doesn't have any optical or coax inputs, only the 6 analog audio. So, with the DVD I'm getting this weekend, the Sony DVP-NS400D, I have to use the 5.1 outputs.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i've got the same setup you do scott. i run the 6 cables from the back of my dvd to my receiver. i just bought some rat-shack gold plated jobs.
    works great...until i upgrade my receiver!
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.