What's new

Another newbie: Decoding question on Sony receiver (1 Viewer)

bigguy46

Auditioning
Real Name
Don
I have a Sony DAVHDX275 for my starter unit. The manual talks about different decoding options (AFD Std, AFD Multi, Pro Logic, Movie, Music...) but is a little vague on exactly what decoding mode is best for watching different shows.

My question: When watching a sporting event (NFL Playoffs) which one should work the best? With AFD Std I can hear crowd noise out of the rear speakers and announcers from the center front. When I put it in AFD Multi I hear everything out of each speaker.

In other words, if something I am viewing is designed for surround sound, which mode should I put it on? If something is not designed for surround sound, which mode should I put it on?

Thanks.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I use the standard output with no processing whatsoever applied. I loathe DSP (Digital Signal Processing) "simulated" modes like "multichannel stereo" or "Arena Sound". I've never changed my receiver off "Auto", which gives me exactly what the source supplies as input, with no post-processing.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I just use Dolby Pro Logic II for regular tv channel viewing.

When I first got into surround, I used the "Stadium" setting, for watching football. It sounded like I was in the stands, until the first commercial came on. I wasn't going to switch back and forth for commercials, so I quit using that setting. It got old, real quick!

jfaul4820

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim F

About a week ago I started running my STR-DG510 in Pro-logic 2 for tv viewing and am finding it much better than Auto. Auto was great on digital dolby but when I was watching non-digital dolby stuff I realized I was really missing out by not having PL2 running so I just set it to PL2 and im getting dolby processing on everything and I don't have be switching back and forth.

bigguy46

Auditioning
Real Name
Don
With Pro Logic II is there sound from the rear speakers when watching something that isn't made in surround?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Yes.............
Pro Logic II takes a stereo signal, and will matrix it out to 5.1 surround. It can sound very good at times, but not quite as good as the real thing.........
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

On regular tv channels, the commercials sound better than the show, sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda19798888
Recent bookmarks