What's new

Another new processor... hurry up Outlaw (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The most interesting (and amusing) thing said in that link is:

"Sunfire is the first high-end manufacturer to ship with the powerful new Motorola DSP56367".

Isn't this the SAME processor that Sonic Frontiers is waiting to upgrade the AVM-20 to when it's available?. And isn't it the same processor used by the Davis pre/pro? I seriously doubt that Sunfire will "ship" the processor before anyone else, especially since everyone associated with the AVM-20 has been anticipating it so much.

It is interesting that more and more manufacturers will be using the Motorola.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Robert- It has always been the case that there have been multiple sources for the DSP processing engines in receivers and pre/pros. Not that Motorola is showing up in "more and more" products. In fact, Moto is very late with their DTS-ES/DPL II solution. (Just ask the Anthem folks.)
Yamaha does their own chips.
There's also Moto.
There's also Analog Device SHARC chips (been out for over 3 years now, and *still* used in high end products).
There's also the new Crystal/Cirrus engine in the Outlaw/AT/Sherbourn pre/pros.
(Anyone know what Denon uses?)
Etc. :)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
fact, Moto is very late with their DTS-ES/DPL II solution. (Just ask the Anthem folks.)
I know that, Kevin. :) That's why I mentioned the anticipation of the Anthem people. I was mainly poking fun at Sunfire for saying they'll be "first" to use it.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Sherbourn will also be coming out with a pre-pro within the next few months.

BruceD

Screenwriter
The New Sherbourn and Atlantic Tehnologies prepros are actually both sourced from the same mold (design house) as the Outlaw.

All these units are using four (4) of the same Cirrus/Crystal DSPs as the Lexicon MC-12.

Steve G

Agent
This is actually the fastest of the Motorola chips. Sunfire is using the 150mhz unit rather than the 100. So, they may be right about it being the first, fastest, most powerful chip out now.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Steven:

Are you saying that there's more than one version of the Motorola DSP56367? A 100 mHz version and a 150 mHz version?

ling_w

Second Unit
DSP's speed actually hasn't gone up much in the last 10 years. Didn't those old Wadia and Meitner D/A converters of 10 years ago utilize quad 40mhz DSPs?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks