another "New Line" audio problem.."Magnolia"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd Robertson, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Todd Robertson

Todd Robertson Second Unit

In chapter 9, the song, "Wise Up" from A.Mann starts up with soft piano. then just after a few seconds...the rears cut out. then further into the song, when J. Moore's vocal part begins...the surrounds sorta fade back in. there is no surround from the rears at the close of the film, during the final Mann song. many on another forum have the same type of trouble with another New Line Platinum Series release....Boogie Nights. anyone else notice this? I DONT remember this when I first bought the dvd. I've watched it 2 or 3 times prior. just noticed tonight.

2. Jamie Cole

Jamie Cole Stunt Coordinator

I've never noticed...

[sidebar]
    I consider this to be one of my ten favorite DVDs. The transfer is gorgeous, I haven't noticed the aforementioned sound problem, and if you haven't at least rented this thing and checked out the documentary on Disc 2, you are missing one of the finest inside looks at making a film I have ever seen. The doc is called "That Moment" for some unknown reason, but it's almost feature-length and goes inside production meetings, exposes us to REAL behind-the-scenes arguments, direction of actors, off-the-cuff stories, etc. I'm telling you, it's like being there for the making of the movie. And no matter how you feel about the movie personally, I can just about guarantee you'll enjoy the documentary.
    [/sidebar]

3. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

I've never noticed this problem... but I haven't really paid too much attention to the sound mix at that particular part of the film - I was just too consumed with the film. I'll probably check it out when I get home tonight.
    Jamie,
    I agree with you on the Magnolia Diary. I never re-watch DVD extras, but with the Magnolia Diary - I've watched it a few times already. It's just fascinating to see the different stages of what goes in to making a film.
    I hope PTA filmed the process of making Punch-Drunk Love and decides to include it on the Special Edition of the DVD (if/when that becomes available).

4. Jamie Cole

Jamie Cole Stunt Coordinator