What's new

Another Neighbor Story (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Quite often the best threats are the understated ones.....

Whenever I drop off a car or a HT component for service, they ask me for my daytime phone number. I just give them my card....the one that says ATTORNEY AT LAW across it....:D Funny thing, the work is always done on time, and properly the first time.

One of the oddest jobs that I used to have was to send a "cease and desist" letter to a company. Basically it says "your product X infringes our patent yyyyy. Please stop selling it or we will sue you for $Z billion dollars.

Have a nice day. :)

my signature.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
One of my friends in LA is a "pain and suffering" plaintiff's attorney. One day he and 3 guys in his office went out to lunch, and were rear-ended at about 5 MPH at a traffic light. The four of them got out, dusted off their suits, and went back (very politely) to present their business cards to the offending driver. Needless to say the offending driver all but died of a heart attack.......

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Whenever I drop off a car or a HT component for service, they ask me for my daytime phone number. I just give them my card....the one that says ATTORNEY AT LAW across it.... Funny thing, the work is always done on time, and properly the first time.
What a brilliant idea! Are there any laws prohibiting the impersonation of an Attorney? Not trying to practice mind you, just want some business cards made up.

:D

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
In most states impersonating an attorney may have serious consequences, just as would impersonating a police officer, a doctor, or a fireman. Consult the criminal statutes in your own jurisdiction.

I first became an attorney at age 43 so the difference in the way people treat me came as quite a shock. It's a sad commentary on modern life that you get treated so differently depending upon your profession. Somehow when I was an engineer it was easier for people to let my issues slide.

My comments above were merely my observations about how sometimes the unctuously and politely given threats are taken the most seriously...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks