What's new

Another Neighbor Story (1 Viewer)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Someone in my neighborhood is parking their car in front of my house with a for sale sign on the car. This happened about a month ago, and I ignored it even though 4 or 5 people knocked on my door asking about the car before it was sold 6 or 7 days after the owner parked it there.

Tonight I came home to find another car for sale in front of my house with the same phone # on the sign, and again, at 8:30pm I got a knock on the door.

I live on a busy road so it is a great place to park a car with a for sale sign. This person is probably from one of the side streets adjacent to my block, but I don't recognize the car.

I know I have no right to control or even expect control of the street and who parks where. But still, this bothers me.

The most annoying thing is that people are knocking on my door asking about the car. Why should I be disturbed by this? I'll also admit that I find it annoying because my wife parks her car in that spot, there's only space for one car, and last time this happened it became a hassle for us having to hunt for a parking space on the block which isn't easy.

I have a double driveway, but I park my car in it, and there's an old 93' Duster up on blocks on the other side which I'm working on.

Should I call the owner of this car and ask him to move it? Let it go?

StephenA

Screenwriter
Have the car towed. If the person asks, say that you didn't recognize the car as a neighbor's car and that nobody talked to you about parking it there to be seen by a passerbys.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
There may be a city ordinance against leaving a car parked on the street for more than 24 or 48 hours without moving it. If you have a HOA that might cover it also. I'd have it towed if possible. One time should teach the person enough of a lesson. Calling them up first probably won't do any good.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Tell the next person that knocks on your door that the car doesn't run. Then tell them that you'll sell it to them for $100, but they'll have to tow it off. :D

You make some money and get the car out of your hair! :)

E

Eric Kahn

Put a sign on your door saying you do not own the car, call the number on the windshield
you can not prevent someone from parking on the street if the community allows parking on the street

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Ask the owner to include his address in the sign. Might cut down on the number of people knocking on your door (there will always be a few clueless ones, though)

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
I would at least give the owner a chance. Don't be a dick.

1. Call the owner and explain.

2. If that doesn't work to your complete satisfaction, then the games begin....

Win Joy Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Let's see...

2 cars for sale in a short amount of time? Sounds like the guy may be a "curbstone seller"... Someone who buys cars at auction (or other places) and resells them as if they were his personal vehicle. Do you live in a development with any HOA restrictions?

Or, you can call the guy and ask hime not to park infront of your house. If he does not stop, then make your own sign saying do NOT come up to the door, and that this may be a professional seller or used car salesman...

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I like Ricardo's Idea.
Ask the owner to include his address in the sign. Might cut down on the number of people knocking on your door (there will always be a few clueless ones, though)
I think the owners of the car would comply and that would help.

JohanD

Stunt Coordinator

I've seen that happen before... if the car is parked in the same place longer than 48 hours or etc.. then you can call it in and they will put one of those yellow stickers on the window.. they have an additional 48 hours to move the car or it will be towed. So it's not like it will be towed right away.. they will see the sticker and have to move it on their own accord.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Call the police, tell them there is a suspicious car parked in front of your house with a for sale sign that doesn't belong to any of the neighbors and you want it gone. They'll come and impound it and call the number to make the owner claim it.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
My city has an ordinance making it illegal to park a car on a street with a 'for sale' sign on it, with NO minimum time. They tow immediately. Check your ordinances.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
damn, first it's bad neighbor threads, then road rage threads, now it's bad neighbors AND roadrage :laugh: well, kinda ;)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Hehe, I'd just keep putting notes on it that says major engine overhaul needed. I also park in the street in front of my house.. been doing it for years. It's a pain when someone else grabs the spot, moreso if they don't even live on the street and aren't visiting anyone!

Call to have it towed, the seller should honestly know better.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
at least give the owner a chance first. if he turns out to be an arse, then you can start the head-games.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Thanks guys! I haven't laughed this hard in a long time.

I called the guy this evening. He said "sorry man, I didn't know people were knocking on your door". I was nice about it, suggested he put an address on the for sale sign...He said "I'll take care if right now man".

15 minutes later the car wasn't in front of my house anymore....It's now in front of my neighbors house.

Better him than me, I guess;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks