Another musical announced

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Joe Caps, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

Lately, we seem to have a slew of musical announcements, including several I always wanted on dvd and NEVER thought I would see (Star, Half a Sixpence, Call Me Madam).
    Digital bits says that in July we will get the Disney musical, The one and Only Genuine Original family band. This is a charming film with songs by the Sherman Brothers starring Buddy ebsen, John Davidson and Lesley Ann Warren.
    What we probably NOT get on the dVD - the film was mono but the songs were recorded in stereo. Could disney loop in the stereo songs. Three additional songs were filmed and cut from the movie - would be nice to see these.

SO - with all these new musicals coming oout - what areas are still lacking?
    Wish list -
    Astaire - Rogers films.
    the 1962 State Fair
    Flower drum Song
    Fox goodies - Centennial Summer, daddy Long Legs, That Lady in Ermine, Betty grable and Alice Faye films, Best Thingws in life are free, April Love.
    Deanna durbin Films
    Bing Crosby Paramount films - many never seen on tv these days.
    Columbia - You were Never lOvelier, My Sister Eileen, You can;t Run Awau fropm it, Down to earth
    Paramount - Lil Abner, Darling lili (uncut please), On a clear Day - in stereo please)

2. FrankXS

FrankXS Stunt Coordinator

Three cheers Joe ! Why Centennial Summer never was on VHS is a mystery to me. All the Faye and Grable titles were so good. I appreciate the Marilyn Monroe adoration but are any of the last four titles announced for April anything like Moon over Miami or Alexander's Ragtime Band or Gang's All Here or Coney Island or Weekend in Havana etc.

3. Haggai

Haggai Producer

I like It's Always Fair Weather quite a bit. Hopefully there'll be a nice anamorphic disc of that at some point in the future.

4. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Just the title LI'L ABNER intrigues me tho I've never seen it. I used to call the subdivsion of condos I lived in Dogpatch, because almost every single wannabe yuppie had a big dog penned in their unit until they came home from work to give the pooch a walk, and left calling cards all over
    [​IMG]

Would also get FLOWER DRUM SONG.

Just finished watching 42nd Street, but was disappointed until the final 15 or so minutes. Tho I guess that made it worthwhile.

Would love a compilation of big dance numbers from the old movies, or the old TV shows. Anyone remember who the June Taylor Dancers were? Were they on the old Jackie Gleason variety show?

PS - Would WC Field's POPPPY qualify as a musical?

5. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    "Family Band" has been unavailable for nearly 20 years. I'm surprised we're getting it at all. Well, I'm hoping for the best, but knowing Disney, not expecting it.

6. RafaelPires

RafaelPires Second Unit

Joe I totally agree with you. I would just add in your list some MGM flicks like the Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy films (they could be released as a collection set), Eleanor Powell (The Broadway Melody of 136 and 1938, Born to Dance, Rosalie, Honolulu, Lady Be good, Ship Ahoy...) and some Jane Powell early movies.
    And it's a shame there are no Centennial Summer and Margie on dvd as well ]as there are no Alice Faye and Betty Grable releases (Moon Over Miami is the best). Plus Three little girls in blue with June Haver, Vivian Blaine and Vera Ellen.

7. Nick Eden

Nick Eden Stunt Coordinator

Another vote here please for more musicals on DVD.

In some ways musicals are the best sort of material to release on DVD as they really can be watched over and over again.

Astaire-Rogers: any word on the Warner release. It must be announced this year surely? Also have there been any leaks as to what titles may be included (hopefully all 10 films will eventually appear). Also does anyone know of any legal problems with "Roberta".I heard that MGM bought the rights so that they could do a remake; however, as MGM titles and RKO ones are now all owned by the same company, is this a problem?

Bing Crosby- yes please. In particular both versions of "Anything Goes".Neither version has been shown on British TV for at least 30 years and with the current theatrical revival in London, I would have thought it an apt moment to release it. Anyone know of any legal problems?

Doris Day: "Love Me or Leave Me", "By The Light of the Silvery Moon" and "On Moonlight Bay". Particularly as Doris celebrates her 80th birthday in a few weeks!!!!!!

8. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    Fox should consider doing double title disc like Universal have been doing.
    They could easily combine a selection of Betty Grable and Alice Faye titles.
    My wish list would include,
    "Moon over Miami"
    "Hello Frisco Hello"
    "Wake up and Live"
    "That Night in Rio"
    "George White's 1935 Scandals"
    "The Shocking Miss Pilgrim"
    "That Lady in Ermine"
    "Down Argentine Way"
    "Coney Island"
    also from Fox,
    "My Gal Sal"
    "Three Little Girls in Blue"
    "April Love"
    "State Fair" (1962)
    "Centenial Summer"
    "Daddy Long Legs"
    and certainly 2 that I would die for,
    "New Faces of 1954"(is the new Public Domain DVD version any good?)
    and "The Best Things in Life are Free"( fabulous musical)

Universal more early Crosby Doubles.

I'm with Joe with his Columbia requests, especially the little known re-make of "It Happened One Night", the charming "You Can't Get Away From It"

From Warners, all of the MGM Musicals,(too many to list)
    but especially "Summer Holiday" and "Two Weeks With Love"

SIGH ! If only I was in charge of the DVD Departments of these Studios.

9. AlanP

AlanP Supporting Actor

Oh, I would get
    "BERNADINE"
    and
    "FLOWER DRUM SONG"
    Any news on "FLOWER DRUM SONG" ??
    That is FOX isn't it ??

10. FrankXS

FrankXS Stunt Coordinator

Doug,Nick and Rafael,

Copy and fax all these titles to Warner/Fox/Universal/Columbia and start the ball rolling for lots of musicals on DVD.

11. Derek_McL

Derek_McL Second Unit

Doug you missed out my two favourite Alice Fayes :
    Alexander's Ragtime Band and Rose of Washington Square ! IMO they are her two best films : the first has a wonderful Irving Berlin score while the second is stolen from Faye and Tyrone Power by the great Al Jolson.

Yes lets have loads more musicals on DVD. The success of Chicago seems to have instigated a bit of a revival and there are certainly a lot more available and coming than there were last year.

Warner have done well with the likes of The Great Ziegfeld and the Garland classics are at last coming. Fred Astaire seems to have got lost a little in the shuffle though. Only his Cole Porter scored titles are available. I want the Fred and Gingers although there is a boxset from Universal UK in Region 2. The biggest Astaire title missing is the wonderful The Band Wagon which really should be right up there with Singin' In The Rain but gets a bit forgotten these days.

I believe there are also plans/ rumours concerning the first talkie The Jazz Singer but strangely in R2 land we're getting the 1980 remake with Neil Diamond ! Warner please more of your early talkie musicals like the Busby Berkeley films (I believe Gold Diggers of 1933 is coming) and more Jolson apart from Jazz Singer (maybe thats a bit of a long shot but Columbia did release The Jolson Story and its sequel).

Universal in the UK has even released a boxset of Deanna Durbin movies. The US company gave two early Paramount musicals to Image to release : Applause and the wonderful Love Me Tonight. Based on what Universal is releasing currently I think more Image releases of less commercial titles is probably our best chance of seeing more Maurice Chevalier/ Jeanette MacDonald Lubitsch titles.

Fox to me are the studio lagging behind on the musical front. There is a musical hole from Shirley Temple to the Rodgers and Hammerstein adaptations with very little available. There are at least examples of classic musicals from the late 30s and early 40s from all the other studios. I hope Fox get those Alice Fayes out soon !

12. Dustin James

Dustin James Stunt Coordinator

13. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Disney is releasing their own disc of the roadshow version of "Happiest Millionaire" in June; here's hoping for an improvement over the featureless Anchor Bay flipper.

14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    ...although that actually wasn't half bad. Here's hoping they don't screw it up, either. [​IMG]

Regards,

15. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

I know that Disney is supposed to release thier own disc of Happiest Millionaire, Ken. But where do you see that its June. Its not on any of thier list they have announced in the last few dayss. Fill me in.

16. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    http://www.ultimatedisney.com/

Has it listed for June along with Flight of the Navigator, A Far off Place, Freaky Friday (original) Candleshoe, and a TV movie.

17. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    I have both the shorter standard release and the longer Roadshow Anchor Bay discs of Millionaire.

Both are equal in picture quality, which considering they are non Anamorphic transfers, are exceptional.
    Sharpness and detail is fantastic and the IB Technicolor reproduction is gloriously spot on.
    They are truly two of the best looking IB Technicolor DVDs around.
    I have often used them to promote the quality of DVDs to some of my older friends, who have not yet been part the DVD experience.

If we get a higher resolution Anamorphic transfer of H/Millionaire and a repeat of the same color and sharpness, plus 5 Channel Dolby Digital, then the wait will be well worth it.
    If not...well we'll wait and see.