What's new

another music confession thread: Garth Brooks/Chris Gaines (1 Viewer)

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
In the spirit of KeithH's thread about Barry Manilow I thought I'd ask this question...

Am I the only one on the planet that liked Garth as Chris Gaines? What makes it even more bizarre to me is the fact that I don't like him at all when he's Garth. Country is just not my thing. Yet I can't help but listen to Chris Gaines Greatest Hits on a semi-regular basis. I have no problem with alternate personas from entertainers. Bowie is a long time favorite of mine. However, I've got to admit the whole concept of Gaines was a bit weird coming from Garth. The music is great though IMO.

I don't really know much about the thinking in country music circles but IIRC he was hammered by his fans for this little venture. I'm assuming that he gave up on the movie part of the Chris Gaines story given the lack of interest from fans.

So, are there any of you out there that like Gaines or am I just a freak?

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The movie would've been interesting, I'm disappointed he decided not to do it. (In other strange notes about singers in movies, the role of Peter Pan in "Hook" was meant for Michael Jackson!)

cwhite

Second Unit
I thought it was kind of gutsy of Garth to even try it out, using Gaines as an outlet for his more pop music leanings. Granted, Chris looked much like Prince. The music was not that bad. And Prince had several personas or alter egos(Christopher
Tracy, Jaime Starr) throughout his career.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks