What's new

Another Movie Poster thread.. (1 Viewer)

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Guys,
Is there any place I can get small, (printer paper size) free, printouts of movie posters?
I'll like putting them in neat frames a putting them around the room..
Nathan
------------------
"Fascinating Captian"
--Spock
Visit www.speedemenu.com

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Never heard of anything like that.
Your best bet is to print them yourself. If you've got a good photo printer, go to sites that have PC wallpaper for download. They usually have a good selection of original movie poster art at very high resolutions that would print out quite nicely if you've got some photo paper laying around somewhere.

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Hey guys,
Maybe if I restate my question it will help..
I'm looking for free movie posters that can be printed out from your home printer..
Posters that have already been put to the size of regular printer paper.
Hope that helps,
Nathan
------------------
"Fascinating Captian"
--Spock
Visit www.speedemenu.com

Rob Robinson

Second Unit
there are probably some intellectual property issues there.
i think the proper thing to do in that situation is to rig up your own. shouldn't be too tough a project...

NathanP

Supporting Actor
The reason that I want them already to the size of printer paper is that when I make them bigger, they lose alot of quality..
Anyone know how to solve that?
Rob:
What's "there are probably some intellectual property issues" mean?
Is that supposed to be insulting?
------------------
"Fascinating Captian"
--Spock
Visit www.speedemenu.com

wally

Second Unit
Nathan> Anyone know how to solve that?
There is no way to solve the problem you’re running into. Most images on the internet are saved at 72 dots per inch (dpi). Once saved, that can’t be changed. If you size/stretch that image 100% you effectively reduce the resolution to 36 dpi. It’s the same thing with a video picture. If you stay sitting at the same distance from the screen and keep increasing its' size, at some point the scan lines (since there are a finite number) are going to become larger and more visible. I hope that makes some sense, kind of a complex topic to discuss in written form.
As far as “intellectual property issues”, I think Rob was referring to copyright law, not your intellect.
patriot.gif

------------------
[Edited last by wally on October 03, 2001 at 04:18 PM]

Rob Robinson

Second Unit
yes, i'm refferring to copyright law.
as alluded above, a PRINTABLE 8.5 x 11 file would have to weigh in at at least a few megs (not k, like most web images)- so from a technical point, a site offering up a library of these would have to have a good deal of bandwidth/diskspace resources available.
But more importantly, the studios are, for the most part, absolute evil assholes when it comes to protecting their assets- and official posters are the property of the studios. If I were to start a site that had high quality posters for download, I'm sure it would be a matter of hours before I got hit with a cease and desist- and i am sure if the idea proved to be viable at all, AOL/Time Warner would track down all violaters, put them under, and then offer their own "You've got Posters" co branded cross promotion with HP or Kodak where you could print out an official high quality one on officially sanctioned paper for $2.95 a pop.
Also, I'm sure there are quality issues as well- Spielberg might have issues with "his" artwork looking crummy because people are printing crummy files on crummy printers.
(sigh, so no one gets offended or thinks I am insulting them, I am not calling YOUR printer crummy. But trying to get crisp type and great color reproduction on a standard inkjet is akin to trying to get a beautiful HD feed on an 800x600 projector using composite cables- the technology has limitations, and often requires both high quality parts (printer/paper) and source material (art)

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
I've had a fair amount of luck on Ebay....prices on DS posters for a couple of bucks. Some sell dozens at one time, by winning several bids from same seller and save on shipping. Recently bought 15 posters at an average price of 2.45 shipped. Just a thought...though I don't need the competition in the auction.
Ron
PS: I know this isn't specifically what you are looking for, but cost seemed to be the driver in your post

wally

Second Unit
Rob is correct. At least a few megs, here are the numbers for the resolution nerds:
(file sizes for 8.5 x 11 inch raw file, no compression)
150 dpi RGB=6.2 mb CMYK=8.3 mb
200 dpi RGB=10.8 mb CMYK=14.3 mb
300 dpi RGB=24.1 mb CMYK=32.2 mb
As you can see those bytes mount up quick. 150 dpi would be the minimum resolution for good looking results.
Not knowing what your application is a suggestion might be to scan the covers of your DVDs and then print them. Many times they mirror the poster closely.

Rob Robinson

Second Unit
i'm a lead designer at a web shop in chicago; six years experience.
started at an ad agency in louisville doing print production while in school.
yeah, i guess
wink.gif

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys,
Sorry if I insulted you Rob :)
I just had tons of extra picture frames laying around and I said "What the he I'll put movie poster's in them" and they look pretty good!
I already bought quite a few big posters off ebay and do like those, but are not the size I need.
So, if anyone has more suggestions I'm looking for:
Movie Poster downloads that have already been inlarged or scanned to the exact size of a piece of printer paper.. the reason being is that when I do it, poster's lose quality.
Thanks,
Nathan
------------------
"Fascinating Captian"
--Spock
Visit www.speedemenu.com

wally

Second Unit
A problem you might run into is aspect ratio. I believe the standard one-sheet size for a movie poster is 27” x 41” If I can assume you are using standard photographic frames at 8 x 10 the poster is going to size down to 6.5 x 10.
Oh no, lets not start a P&S or letterbox debate for posters
wink.gif

------------------

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I've seen several books that either include or are mostly made up of movie posters (usually for older films.) The page size is bigger than 8 1/2 x 11", but if you feel like breaking copyright law (or can convince yourself that this constitutes "fair use") you should be able to buy one or two of them and scan fairly high-quality images from them, especially if your scanner/software combo has a "descreen" setting for scanning printed materials. Then you can adjust the size anyway you like, because you'll get far less loss of quality in reducing an image than you will in blowing one up. Even reduced your scans will probably have more resolution than your color printer can reproduce, so the results should be pretty good, especially if you print them on high-quality paper.
Regards,
Joe

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Ya know,
I do have a very nice printer..
It's the newest Lexmark..
And it Whips!
Nathan

Nathan,
Do you have a scanner? If you do, you can scan the covers of you favorite DVD's. Try different resolutions at first. 200 dpi, 300 dpi, etc. until you get the correct output that you're looking for when you print a 8 X 10 image.
You can always change them every once in a while to newer releases that you purchase.
Hope this helps...
LP
patriot.gif

------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks