Another Monster HTS2500 bites the dust

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Leif Wall, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

I ordered one of these from etronics.com and it ran good for a few days then I couldn't get power to the switched and timed outlets. Got a replacement and after a month or so it just now did the same thing. What a P.O.S. [​IMG]

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Talk about striking out. Have you written down the serial numbers? Perhaps we're looking at a particularly problematic manufacturing run. Who is picking up the s/h on the returns and have you incurred other costs besides?

3. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

I haven't written down the serial numbers. Last time I had to pay to ship it back to Etronics, they paid to ship the new unit to me. Typical for online and mail order stores.

There wasn't a heavy load or anything going on. Both times just had my receiver, tv, and the dish on. Out of nowhere the switched and timed outlets shut off and they won't come back on. I waited 20 minutes and pressed the reset switch on the back to no avail.

I think I'm going to try and call the Monster tech support line tomorrow.

Just frustates me. I've never really had a problem with any other of my equipment before, home theater and car stereo included.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Sounds like a plan. I read etronics return policy and while it does say the customer is responsible for s/h on return items, it would seem to me, that after the second time, its getting a bit much. Pretty quickly, those savings are vanishing! Consider as an option, speaking to etronics, and after the first person gives you the company spiel and tells you it is not their fault, ask for their supervisor and indicate that your displeasure is such that you are considering contacting the Better Business Bureau and will be posting your experiences on both Usenet newsgroups as well as websites that deal with customer satisfaction for online merchant transactions. You've got to be firm about this and don't be afraid to contact even THAT person's supervisor.
    The reason I opt for writing the serial # down is for the reason I gave earlier and also to see if the same unit came back to me. My correspondence, in case of returns, typically includes the serial #. I do hate it when they just send the same thing back. Keep us posted of how you make out and good luck!

5. Chuck Hong

Chuck Hong Auditioning

I had a Monster 2500 go out on me after only a day. I returned it to the local AV dealer for a replacement, which had to be back ordered.

I received the replacement after two weeks. It's been running well for at least 2 months now. I also have a Panamax 5100; I've never had any problems with that line conditioner.

Chuck Hong

6. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

No problems with my HTS5000. I have seen a particular batch go bad before. One time we had a whole batch of HTS1000 that seemed to have the Coax connections go bad after around 3 weeks. The output would just stop working.

7. CurtP

CurtP Extra

The first HTS3500 I bought was bad -- it would turn itself on after 15 minutes after it was shut off. The replacement unit I have now seems to be working ok, but with the switched and timed circuits turned on has a slight buzz -- I'm not very happy with it right now. For the price of these things, I would think that they would be built better.
    I didn't record the serial numbers, but I have had the covers off of both of them. The first one had yellowish/beige boards in it, and there were nuts on the screws that held the plastic round feet on. The second one has green boards in it and no nuts. Both were made in Tawain.
    I'm considering taking it back and getting a Panamax. Personally, between the flakey operation of both units and the cheap build quality, I'm disappointed. I guess they make and market these like they do their interconnects [​IMG][​IMG]

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

As someone who has been debating whether to get a Monster or Panamax power conditioner at some point, I find this thread particularly interesting. I am definitely leaning towards Panamax at this point.

9. Jeffrey Chin

Jeffrey Chin Second Unit

get a balanced power conditioner and call it a day

10. Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey Second Unit

Lee Bailey
    Jeffery,

How much did your balanced power unit cost?

11. Jeffrey Chin

Jeffrey Chin Second Unit

I bought a custom 20 amp BPT 2.5 modded unit from Alan Maher at a substantial discount (he's moving to Germany). I saw a bpt 2.0 @ audiogon.com for $860.
    ALL HUM & WHITE NOISE IS COMPLETELY GONEEEEEEEEEEE
    [​IMG] GO GRAB IT! [​IMG]

12. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Jeffrey is to be congratulated for acquiring the "ultimate" 20A rated BPT balanced power conditioner in the BP2.5. It weighs 68lbs! with a large toroidal isolation transformer on board.

The BPT is like some larger audio amplifiers, such as Anthem MCA 5/50 with toroidals, which can handle surges and carry thermal (current) overload shutdowns, and can be plugged directly into the wall plate.

What concerns me is protection from catastrophic surges. BPT claims "surge protection," I think mainly at the toroidal stage, but the warranty does NOT cover "catastrophic" surges. An anal person wud put a Brickwall Surge Protector upstream and plug the BPT into it, if $$$ is no object. I don't know how BPT handles repairs in such surge overloads.

One wud need a separate surge protector anyway to accommodate coax cables from cableTV and satellites, rooftop antennas using RG6 or RG59 and telephone line for some DSS users who order movies.

KeithH is one of our most prolific gearheads, but it pains me to see him use the term "power conditioner" re midlevel (like Monster HTS 2500) or equivalent Panamax. Until one gets into the top of the line units, I believe these essentially are Surge Protectors that also carry RF/EMI line noise filters (as most surge protectors do).

For the most part, surge protectors, especially those with several high-current outlets that claim none or minimum current limiting, like Panamax Max 5300 with an isolation transformer, "do no harm" to existing AC circuit, while cleaning up some AC noise.

Tweakers who want to IMPROVE the existing circuit -- drastically lowering the noise floor -- and provide "CLEAN" power (YMMV) will look at BPT, PS Audio and Richard Gray's Power Company units (Tice Audio is in here, too) detachable (aftermarket) power cords, and more, all at a significant cost but on the road to audiophile perfection, if that's where you're headed.

13. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    I was just about to start a thread about my HTS2500 crapping out, when I came across this thread. I have had my HST2500 for 6 months now without any problems. Yesterday, when I come how from work, the LED's for the Timed, Switched and Unswitched outlets were off. The rest of the LED's were on. I was able to power on all my equipment connected to the Unswitched outlets even though its LED was off, but no power from my Timed or Switched outlets. I pressed the reset button on the back.....nothing. Another thing, all my clocks house in the were flashing, so there must have been some power outage. I wonder if that could have damaged the unit somehow. Although there has been power outages in the past and this never happened. I tried to call customer service but they are closed on weekends. [​IMG]

14. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

Vlad - That's the EXACT thing that happened to me both times. I'm thoroughly unimpressed by this product. It's obvious from this thread that it's a widespred problem too. Monster will not be getting my money anymore.

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Bill said:

16. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Keith, yer a real gent. thanks for the reply.

It's true that these units ranging $200 plus are not just "surge protectors" with all the other marketing features, such as high-current plugs, delayed and 12V remote turn-ons, isolated digital/analog plug sets, controllable always-on and switched outlets, onboard voltmeters etc.

As much as I hate to validate Monster's marketing, perhaps their term is an inclusive one: "power centers."

Panamax honestly terms its units "Panamax Surgeprotector Series" including the bells n whistles.

17. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Monster must be aware of the problem with this unit, because today I called customer service and the minute I mentioned HST 2500, the csr said "OK, just send it to us." No questions asked. Just gave me an RA#. Didn't even ask for the serial #.

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Bill, thanks for the compliment. Before I jump in and buy one of these units, I will have to research them well so that I know what I am buying. As I have said, I am leaning towards the Panamax MAX 5300, but it is on the list of hardware wants. [​IMG]