Another missed SACD opportunity...DSOTM to be released on CD only as well.....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin Lane, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Looking over at MusicTap I found the following posted for yesterday's news found here.

2. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Am I missing something? Where precisely in the press-release does it say that the SACD won't have a 'standard' layer?

3. Justin Lane

If EMI's plan all along was to release a Hybrid as well as a CD remaster, the choice of SACD is making even less sense now then it did when it was first announced. They could have just as easily done a DVD-A and given every fan with a DVD player the opportunity to hear Floyd in multichannel of some flavor (PCM,DD,DTS) and also given us the original quad as well. With this recent news I am really scratching my head.

It looks like maybe all along EMI planned on a CD and DVD-A release, but at the last minute Sony decided to throw money at them, which a struggling company such as EMI could not turn down.

4. Justin Lane

5. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

I read this just this morning.

What's up with that? [​IMG]

6. Darryl

Darryl Stunt Coordinator

I'm positive I read that this will ONLY be released as a hybrid. The CD layer will be a remix from the original source tapes, not a remaster of the original mix. I'll bet MusicTap heard about the CD remix and somehow jumped to the conclusion that this new CD version will be sold separately from the hybrid SACD.

7. Justin Lane

8. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

I'll bet this is why the SACD has different artwork. [​IMG]

9. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

This appears to be a misunderstanding on Matthew's part. I guess it's faintly conceivable that a new CD-only release could be scheduled, but it would cost the studio far, far more to make separate widjits (an entirely unnecessary cost, I should add), plus a new CD-only version is not up-for-order at any of the usual sites, all of which have the hybrid SACD available for preorder.

10. Justin Lane

11. Michael St. Clair

Can anybody name some 'single inventory' discs outside of the 'Stones?

The only ones I can think of are audiophile releases like from Audio Fidelity (and they have horrid distribution).

12. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Michael,

The smaller audiophile companies are about it, other examples include DMP and possibly Telarc, although I am not certain about this for Telarc.

Has Chesky gone over to SACD hybrid instead of CD and SACD hybrid?

Justin,

Should this occur (CD + SACD hybrid) I see it as a way to gauge the real market for SACD (stereo and multichannel).

This is one of those "must own" titles, and if it sells poorly as an SACD, it will be bad news for Sony and the other labels as well.

Anyone know how many copies the Universal SACD only titles have been selling?

Regards,

13. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

14. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    From High Fidelity Review:

15. Justin Lane

16. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

17. Matt Rowe

Matt Rowe Auditioning

Hello folks...

Checking in here to face up to the latest controversy that I've managed to stir up. My last one is still brewing in another forum concerning Jeff Buckley.

This time I stepped in it deeply. First I want to thank you for your sharp eyes. And your comments, especially from some of you. While EMI's charts show 2 releases, I failed to see the Vinyl designation and assumed too quickly, I'm afraid, that it was a CD release. I apologize and will write an update and credit you folks.

To clarify my position, I receive release data. They, at times, get pretty specific however some are annoyingly ambiguous. For EMI, they list 2 separate discs for the release date. One shows clearly an SACD while the other shows :b , VNY which I passed up in this world of too few vinyl releases.

Forgive?

I surely didn't mean to create a whole thread by an error.

Matt

18. Justin Lane

Thanks for the clarification Matt. All is well in the world of SACD again.

J

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Frankly, I would be surprised if EMI did not release a new standard CD for the 30th anniversary. However, if EMI simply releases the hybrid SACD, that will be a big feather in SACD's cap. Will it go a long way toward getting the masses in SACD? I doubt it, but time will tell.

Michael asked:

20. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Without trying to hijack this thread, here is a link to a highfidelityreview.com review of the Dana Winner single-inventory, hybrid SACD entitled Unforgettable Too:

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/re...umber=19946477

Based on the positive reviews I have read, it is unfortunate that this disc is not available in the US. It is available from www.proxis.nl , however.