Another Men in Black release?!?!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Ralph, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Brian Ralph

Brian Ralph Stunt Coordinator

DVD Shrine is reporting the following:

Columbia is releasing a 'deluxe edition' of Stuart Little and a 2-disc 'deluxe edition' of Men in Black on May 21st. Developing...

Guess they are trying to use every variation of the word 'special'. I suppose with the upcoming Men In Black II, it was inevitable, but they won't be getting my $$ a second time.

2. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

I believe that MIB and Stuart Little are the only releases by Columbia that were released in seperate widescreen and fullscreen versions. While there may be some new extra features I would assume that there is a pretty good chance that they are condensing the seperate releases into one.
    I bought the Limited Edition MIB and would probably not repurchase no matter what is included.
    -Chad

3. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

I love special editions, but I already bought the "Deluxe" MiB before (the one that comes in the box). There's no chance I'm going to buy.

4. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

The Limited Edition of Men in Black already has both fullscreen and widescreen versions. Not sure what they would add, but I'm fine with the LE and don't see any reason to upgrade.

I own the Stuart Little Widescreen disc and it is practically the perfect DVD - commentaries, isolated score, games, featurettes, SFX stuff...don't see ANY reason to upgrade this one too, esp. since the current disc retails for $19.99.

5. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

I suppose these will be the first of the rumoured "Superbit deluxe" editons? I have a R2 MIB LE, and might possibly be tempted to have a R1 NTSC version, especially if it is a new transfer, which it probably will be if this is indeed a "Superbit" kind of title.

6. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Three releases aren't enough for this title? I guess not.

Actually, I'm for a version that has DTS and a better looking picture; far too many artifacts in the current release.

7. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

I could see these being Deluxe Superbit titles stuff with extras promoting both these movies upcoming sequels this summer... Just a thought, of course if they're still sticking to the 'Superbit rules' on their deluxe titles, they're going to have to drop the commentaries...

Dan

8. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

The original MIB 2 disc set was supposed to be a Limited Edition. It may be possible Columbia is being true to their word and no longer releasing the 2 disc set with the same packaging/inserts.

J

9. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

So you think this two-disc set is just some kind of repackaging of the old 2 disc?

10. Guy_K

Guy_K Second Unit

Perhaps it will be in a double alpha case this time.

11. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I'm guessing they'll just take the LE, add in a few trailers of MIIB, maybe a new featurette and a DTS track, then slap the word "Deluxe" on the cover.

12. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

I think the current DTS version of MIB has a great transfer, but I would most likely purchase a Superbit Deluxe version if released.
    L

13. Douglas Kalon

Douglas Kalon Stunt Coordinator

I am sure that they will also include something on this "New" Men in Black" to promote Men in Black II.

Just like what Universal did when their sequels to hit movies are about to be released to the theaters they release a "New" Ultimate edition of the original to help to promote the sequel. Like American Pie and The Mummy comes to mind.

Unless this New version really has something very special included, I will not buy it either. The Limited Edition I have is great already.

Just my 2 cents.

14. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

I thought the MIB DVDs didn't sell well?

15. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Second Unit

And don't forget there is a Stuart Little 2 coming out soon too!