What's new

Another lighting question.. (1 Viewer)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I have my "media" room pretty well planned out and I plan to start cutting wood over the next week or so. The only thing I can't seem to visualize is the lighting.

I plan on using recessed lighting, and I don't know how many cans I will need. Is there a "rule of thumb" on how many lights to use in a given space?

Bob Hill

Stunt Coordinator
For most canned lights the rule of thumb is that they will illuminate a circle with roughly a diameter the same dimension as the distance of the the canned light from the floor. So if your canned lights are placed in an 8' ceiling they will throw an 8' diameter circle of light. Now there are lamps to improve the throw area but for the most part this rule of thumb holds true. Hope this helps some.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
That helps alot! Thanks... at least now I have a rough idea how many I will need.

Thanks again.

Kurt B

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the process also of doing a home theater. I bought a package to help me lay out the lighting, the seating, all the components... I have a difficult time visualizing a layout by looking at a room without doing it down on a screen/paper...

I also found my local Home Depot to be quite helpful, mine here has a retired electrician who has some great info and ideas for me to think about.

Good luck,

Kurt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks