Another Jurassic Park LD/DVD Comparison

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by IanS, Aug 20, 2001.

1. IanS

IanS Stunt Coordinator

When I used to sell consumer audio equipment, I used to use this part as my demo. (Women would jump right out of their pants and fall right off the chair in the HT demo room ) when the hunk of goat hits the sunroof on the RV.
    I have compared this scene on the old LD (non AC-3) and the new DTS DVD repressing and the DTS DVD cannot reproduce this big THUD. Anybody notice this. Other than that the new DTS rocks big time.
    Ian

2. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I have got to move to Canada, where women jump out of their pants! This just never happens to me here in staid old Minnesota.
    My only question is: have you carefully matched volumes? Not by ear, but by measurement. I have no answer for you as I don't have DTS, but it would be a very interesting observation of you have matched levels. No matter what, I'm keeping my old LD. It's better than the AC-3 version also (and no, I haven't tried matched levels either! I keep cranking the volume control when I play the dvd but it still never produces the room-shaking bass of the LD).
    ------------------
    They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
    - Napoleon XIV

3. David-alexander

David-alexander Stunt Coordinator

the THX PCM dolby surround disc is a fury indeed and has not really anything to envy to any other versions.
    PCM can know many guys' socks off big time. it's not discrete but the enormous resolution is definitely something not to ignore...... discrete PCM, something we'll never see on movie dvds.
    now, the surround are much more limited and can't match the dts or ac3 ones (7khz-200hz or 100hz when prologic is engaged).
    do you have the new corrected dts dvd ?
    note: spl pressure and resolution are not necessarily related. the masters used are major players.

4. David Tolsky

David Tolsky Supporting Actor

The DTS LD of Jurassic Park is awesome sounding. So much so, that when the dvd's came out, I opted for the DD versions as they had the extras I wanted. Still, when I want to demo my unit, I do fire up the JP DTS LD. It cranks!