1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Another in the I hate series .... parking lot repairs

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Bob Graz, Jul 28, 2003.

1. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

Sitting at home tonight, when my son called. The 94 Sable was dead at our local Wendy's. The battery was pushing 5 years old, so when he called, I was pretty sure that was the problem. Drove to Wendy's, found the car, radio, lights, etc worked, but car wouldn't begin to start. Diagnosed bad battery. Ran to Autozone, thank goodness they are open till 10pm, bought a battery, ran home, got the tool box, back to Wendy's to replace the battery. Then back to Autozone to return old battery and get refund for core charge. Back in business again with a new battery and 2 hours of running around. Can't they come up with a battery that gives you a warning it's about to go?

2. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Bob wrote:

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

4. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

Whenever I've had batteries die because of old battery age (as opposed to a faulty alternator or something like that), I always experience slow cranking of the engine for a day or two before the battery expires.

Of course, I usually ignore the warning sign and end up stranded somewhere anyway!

5. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

Slow starting is a signal in cold temp climates. In South and Southwest the heat just kills them with no warning sign.It's probably not a coincidence that yesterday was a 90+ degree day when it decided to quit.

6. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

hmm, you should try a parking lot repair at -40 in the middle of the winter here [​IMG]. I had to change a starter on my Steller years back and still vividly remember freezing my fricken ass off.

7. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

8. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

How do they expect the battery light to go on if the battery is dead? [​IMG]

9. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

I had to replace this little PITA radiator hose in a parking lot. Took me three hours. That sucked...

What really sucks is not being able to perform the repair and having to call a tow truck. My fuel pump died on me, ON MY LAST DAY AT A JOB!, and I couldn't get home. I told the guard the situation so he could let the tow truck in and caught a ride home with a friend. Two hours later, I get a call from the towing co. saying that they couldn't get my car because I wasn't employed with the company. After 2 days of repeated cussing with my (former) company, I finally got the car out of there. To make the story worse, my fuel pump was in the tank. They had to drop the tank to get to it. To make it even worse, I had just filled up the car with gas... [​IMG]

10. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

That little "battery light" has nothing to do with the condition of the battery. It's a warning that the charging system isn't working (i.e. alternator) and the battery is not being charged.

If you actually get out the owner's manual and read it you learn all kinds of interesting things.

I work on cars for a living and in almost all cases a battery will give some warning--slow cranking on first start of the day--before giving up entirely. Most people do ignore this until a jump start is necessary.

Iacocca was right, by the way. The average driver ignores everything but the gas guage. I've seen numerous engines needlessly fried because the idiot owner ignored the temp guage pushing into the red zone and just kept driving until the engine siezed. One of the stupidest things I ever saw was an idiot driving from gas station to gas station trying to get the best price on a fan belt to replace the already broken one on his air-cooled Corvair.

11. Cary_H

Cary_H Second Unit

Reminds me of the time I was on my way to my last day of work for an employer, and had my car stop dead at a green light in a downpour. (dead distributor)

As I touched on in a recent thread, keep a good eye on the condition of your battery's cables. I once had a problem where I couldn't limp to my "mechanic of choice". I ended up springing for a battery 'cause mine was over 6 years old, and was a bit swollen. When that didn't fix things I sprung for an alternator after a quick check by a guy who, as it turned out, "couldn't find his *** with both hands".
    I risked all, and made a run for "my guy". It took him a grand total of 2 minutes to determine that my problem all along was a poor connection from some corrosion on one battery cable where it entered it's clamp.
    The latter crisis happened prior to the distributor event, so when that one occurred I gladly paid for a $100 tow to put my car in front of this guy.

12. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

Once my brother and I, did a whole timing belt change in a car wash parking lot, the house was only 2 miles away so we called a friend, went home got tools and parts, and worked on the car for 3 hours....

13. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

I had to do a battery change a few weeks ago in the sun. Man I hope I never have to do that again. I don't mind working in the sun but there was no breeze that day. I hate car problems.

14. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

15. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Recently my band was packing up our equipment (in the back of our guitarists truck), just as we were ready to leave, his truck died.

He went to check the battery and the terminal came right out of the battery [​IMG]

Quickly we unloaded the truck and crammed everything into a bunch of cars. I kept thinking "Imagine if his truck started up fine, but the terminal fell out when we were driving on the highway?" or even worse - If we made it to the gig fine, then packed up at the end of the night (at 1:30 am) and it happened!

That would've SUCKED! Luckily his truck was dead in my driveway and he only lives about 5 houses down the street.

16. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

it's been in the upper 90's low 100's here for the last week and i spent the day under my BMW 320 dropping the fuel tanks (yes, there's two!) so i could replace a cracked and leaking vent hose.[​IMG]
    i found out about the leaking hose when the car was loaded with me, the kids and the wife about 15 miles into a trip to visit some friends in Vancouver, BC. i had stopped to get gas and when the attendent filled the tank, fuel started gushing from under the car. i had to get the car back home and get wife, kids and stuff transfered into our other car so we could make the trip.