Another IDIOT Neighbor thread.....

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DonnyD, Jun 19, 2004.

1. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

We live in a fairly nice neighborhood but there's one neighbor who is constantly doing some idiot-type things that compromises peace and harmony around our normally quiet cove....
    His wife left him about a year ago and ever since, he's pulls the dumbest things but recently he's become much worse.....

About a month ago, he drags in an 18 ft (diameter) above ground pool, puts it on uneven ground and only puts about 12" of water in it. He has a son (who went with MOM) who's about 6 yr old and it appears this neighbor is trying to do things to impress someone of something..... it's funny cause most of the neighborhood calls him "Johnny Bravo" and he "fits" that moniker well.....

Anyway, he only puts 12" of water in the pool cause his son is only 6 and wouldn't get in it if it's deeper.... after a couple of days, of course ALL the younger kids from blocks around find their way to the pool, including my 8 year old, and the pool becomes nasty to say the least......VERY nasty.....

Out of the blue, he decides to completely fill it up to the 3 ft deep level, apparently cause a neighbor behind him has a 16-17 yr old daughter who mentioned she'd like to get in it too....... but it seems that ALL the 15-16 yr olds in the neighborhood now want in it too......... and his own son won't get in it anymore cause of the depth. This neighbor firmly believes that if he advises the neighborhood of "the rules" that it removes any responsibilty that he might have for the safety of others........BTW... his yard is open to the neighborhood... no fences.......
    Neighbor hauls in an 18' trampoline so his son has something to do besides swim in a pool that is full of others........ Trampoline becomes a fav too, of course, for spirited teens.....usually several at a time.... Once again, neighbor believes he has NO liabilty for this since he "talked" to the neighborhood.

Of course, a pool that size MUST have a filter system... and it does.... but neighbor never hooks it up and it is still sitting on the patio..... and if you remember, it's a month and MANY waders later..... and in addition,he hasn't mowed his yard in two weeks either!!!
    Pool is a murky mess with swarms of bugs in it. Mosquitoes have began farming too....... There's also clothes and shoes lying around the pool area that no one seems to claim.... His son won't even go around to the rear of the house!!! Neighbor is wondering why no one is coming to the pool....???

Another neighbor and I, who like to keep our lawns mowed and neat, decide to mow his yard and we also drained the pool of the murky mess. WHAT A MESS!!!! As I mentioned, his yard is "open" to the rest of us and has become VERY unsightly....Instead of thanking us for trying to help with his problems, he got PI@@ED off!!! He moved the pool to a more level spot and refilled it without even cleaning out the residue in the bottom!!! And still NO FILTER is hooked up!!!! Since he didn't "prep" the area where the pool had sat, the grass has died and stinks like sewage.....

I know that in a different county, the health department is having people fined (or worse) and hauled into court for things like this, in an effort to contain west nile. Neighbor, while becoming the Joke of the neighborhood, has also caused a mosquito infestation.... He just sits out by that green slimy pool, suntanning with his favorite "Johnny Bravo" sunglasses...... He's so cool....

2. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

We live in a fairly nice neighborhood but there's one neighbor who is constantly doing some idiot-type things that compromises peace and harmony around our normally quiet cove....
    His wife left him about a year ago and ever since, he's pulls the dumbest things but recently he's become much worse.....

About a month ago, he drags in an 18 ft (diameter) above ground pool, puts it on uneven ground and only puts about 12" of water in it. He has a son (who went with MOM) who's about 6 yr old and it appears this neighbor is trying to do things to impress someone of something..... it's funny cause most of the neighborhood calls him "Johnny Bravo" and he "fits" that moniker well.....

Anyway, he only puts 12" of water in the pool cause his son is only 6 and wouldn't get in it if it's deeper.... after a couple of days, of course ALL the younger kids from blocks around find their way to the pool, including my 8 year old, and the pool becomes nasty to say the least......VERY nasty.....

Out of the blue, he decides to completely fill it up to the 3 ft deep level, apparently cause a neighbor behind him has a 16-17 yr old daughter who mentioned she'd like to get in it too....... but it seems that ALL the 15-16 yr olds in the neighborhood now want in it too......... and his own son won't get in it anymore cause of the depth. This neighbor firmly believes that if he advises the neighborhood of "the rules" that it removes any responsibilty that he might have for the safety of others........BTW... his yard is open to the neighborhood... no fences.......
    Neighbor hauls in an 18' trampoline so his son has something to do besides swim in a pool that is full of others........ Trampoline becomes a fav too, of course, for spirited teens.....usually several at a time.... Once again, neighbor believes he has NO liabilty for this since he "talked" to the neighborhood.

Of course, a pool that size MUST have a filter system... and it does.... but neighbor never hooks it up and it is still sitting on the patio..... and if you remember, it's a month and MANY waders later..... and in addition,he hasn't mowed his yard in two weeks either!!!
    Pool is a murky mess with swarms of bugs in it. Mosquitoes have began farming too....... There's also clothes and shoes lying around the pool area that no one seems to claim.... His son won't even go around to the rear of the house!!! Neighbor is wondering why no one is coming to the pool....???

Another neighbor and I, who like to keep our lawns mowed and neat, decide to mow his yard and we also drained the pool of the murky mess. WHAT A MESS!!!! As I mentioned, his yard is "open" to the rest of us and has become VERY unsightly....Instead of thanking us for trying to help with his problems, he got PI@@ED off!!! He moved the pool to a more level spot and refilled it without even cleaning out the residue in the bottom!!! And still NO FILTER is hooked up!!!! Since he didn't "prep" the area where the pool had sat, the grass has died and stinks like sewage.....

I know that in a different county, the health department is having people fined (or worse) and hauled into court for things like this, in an effort to contain west nile. Neighbor, while becoming the Joke of the neighborhood, has also caused a mosquito infestation.... He just sits out by that green slimy pool, suntanning with his favorite "Johnny Bravo" sunglasses...... He's so cool....

3. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

If your neighbors went into your yard and "fixed" something they didn't like, wouldn't you get pissed too?

I agree, this sounds like a nasty situation, but you really can't go cleaning up someone else's property. You might be able to get the county to come in if it becomes a gross health hazard, but until then....

Talk to your neighbor about the problem - but don't expect much cooperation after your intrusion.
    Don't let your kid go over there.
    Talk to other neighbors and arrange a 'boycott' of the house. Without an audience the cool-factor should subside in time.
    Build a fence or plant large fast-growing shrubs.
    Use insect repellent when outdoors.

4. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

If your neighbors went into your yard and "fixed" something they didn't like, wouldn't you get pissed too?

I agree, this sounds like a nasty situation, but you really can't go cleaning up someone else's property. You might be able to get the county to come in if it becomes a gross health hazard, but until then....

Talk to your neighbor about the problem - but don't expect much cooperation after your intrusion.
    Don't let your kid go over there.
    Talk to other neighbors and arrange a 'boycott' of the house. Without an audience the cool-factor should subside in time.
    Build a fence or plant large fast-growing shrubs.
    Use insect repellent when outdoors.

5. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Really a nice fellow, apparently.

And smart too. When he adds another inch, the 18yrs and olders girls may want to come and get in his pool. Are you sure you and your neighbours aren't just being jealous? [​IMG]

Cees

6. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Really a nice fellow, apparently.

And smart too. When he adds another inch, the 18yrs and olders girls may want to come and get in his pool. Are you sure you and your neighbours aren't just being jealous? [​IMG]

Cees

7. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Nice guy! But he is operating under the wrong premise if he believes he is without liability. It doesn't matter how much he warns minors - he is liable. His pool better be monitored when minors are present, and fenced with gates closed and locked when not. Even fenced and gated, kids are clever - he is still liable if they get in. The insurance company I used to work for hated pools (and wood burning stoves too), and added surcharges if you installed one.

The trampoline is an equal hazard.

There would be a point, even were I a kid, where, if a pool got too mucky, I would refuse to go in. I wonder why these people have such a high tolerance.

8. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Nice guy! But he is operating under the wrong premise if he believes he is without liability. It doesn't matter how much he warns minors - he is liable. His pool better be monitored when minors are present, and fenced with gates closed and locked when not. Even fenced and gated, kids are clever - he is still liable if they get in. The insurance company I used to work for hated pools (and wood burning stoves too), and added surcharges if you installed one.

The trampoline is an equal hazard.

There would be a point, even were I a kid, where, if a pool got too mucky, I would refuse to go in. I wonder why these people have such a high tolerance.

9. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

Yeah, isn't it a bylaw or something in your area that if a pool is installed, the yard must be fenced in, with gates that can properly shut and/or lock? I know it is where I live. If so, I'm sure you could get someone to do something about that.

10. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

Yeah, isn't it a bylaw or something in your area that if a pool is installed, the yard must be fenced in, with gates that can properly shut and/or lock? I know it is where I live. If so, I'm sure you could get someone to do something about that.

11. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I think it many places it is illegal to have a pool without a fence. And yes, he is completely liable for anyone being hurt on the trampoline or in the pool. Insurance companies also hate trampolines and pools, and may very well drop him for having the trmapoline, I've heard of that happening. But not having a fence is definitely in violation. If you have any idea of who his insurance is with, give them a call. I'd also check with the local governments as I'm assuming you don't have an HOA that covers this stuff. Still governments sometimes have laws regarding things like trampolines and pools in open yard, as well as yard maintainance and they'll probably be interested in the mosquito problem also.

12. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I think it many places it is illegal to have a pool without a fence. And yes, he is completely liable for anyone being hurt on the trampoline or in the pool. Insurance companies also hate trampolines and pools, and may very well drop him for having the trmapoline, I've heard of that happening. But not having a fence is definitely in violation. If you have any idea of who his insurance is with, give them a call. I'd also check with the local governments as I'm assuming you don't have an HOA that covers this stuff. Still governments sometimes have laws regarding things like trampolines and pools in open yard, as well as yard maintainance and they'll probably be interested in the mosquito problem also.

13. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I'd go for the 'skeeters. If they do breed in his pool, that could be bad news. Do you have a local number for standing pools of water? Also, your local health dept. might come right out, but they may just give him a fine.
    Without a fence, he could get more 'tickets', but might just let them sit.

A better bet might be a local TV station that reports on that kind of stuff.

Curious - does this guy have all of his marbles? [​IMG] Does he work at all? Maybe he is trying to get himself put away.

Glenn

14. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I'd go for the 'skeeters. If they do breed in his pool, that could be bad news. Do you have a local number for standing pools of water? Also, your local health dept. might come right out, but they may just give him a fine.
    Without a fence, he could get more 'tickets', but might just let them sit.

A better bet might be a local TV station that reports on that kind of stuff.

Curious - does this guy have all of his marbles? [​IMG] Does he work at all? Maybe he is trying to get himself put away.

Glenn

15. andrew markworthy

Hmmmm ....

16. andrew markworthy

Hmmmm ....

17. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

Yes, Mark. Anywhere in West Tennesee you must have your pool fenced in with a locking gate. I know of 2 people who refused because they thought above-ground pools didn't count. Some fines and cancelled insurance changed their minds. Yes, you can also have your insurance cancelled, since an open pool is an insurance disaster waiting to happen.

18. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

Yes, Mark. Anywhere in West Tennesee you must have your pool fenced in with a locking gate. I know of 2 people who refused because they thought above-ground pools didn't count. Some fines and cancelled insurance changed their minds. Yes, you can also have your insurance cancelled, since an open pool is an insurance disaster waiting to happen.

19. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Nope... since we've been here in this neighborhood, several of us have often pitched in to "help" those around us.... watching kids, mowing grass, etc....

I had already mowed this particular neighbors yard twice this year... once while he was visiting another neighbor and drinking coffee...!
    Until his wife moved out, he was always neat and took care of things but it's been down hill from there. His reaction was uncalled for since he's really just ostracised himself from everyone... not just me.... over this pettiness and lack of concern for those around him.

I'll still pitch in and "do" for others around me when I feel they need it, just as they would do for me. While my SO was in the hospital for 10 days, I was "helped" often............

20. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Nope... since we've been here in this neighborhood, several of us have often pitched in to "help" those around us.... watching kids, mowing grass, etc....

I had already mowed this particular neighbors yard twice this year... once while he was visiting another neighbor and drinking coffee...!
    Until his wife moved out, he was always neat and took care of things but it's been down hill from there. His reaction was uncalled for since he's really just ostracised himself from everyone... not just me.... over this pettiness and lack of concern for those around him.

I'll still pitch in and "do" for others around me when I feel they need it, just as they would do for me. While my SO was in the hospital for 10 days, I was "helped" often............