Another HK AVR 525 question - I want to buy one, what to know:

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kenneth Harden, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

OK, so Amazon/J&R have it for $650 shipped. Sounds like a good deal to me and it has rave reviews from the Klipsch forum.

The heat build-up is not an issue, as it's home would have same ventalation as if I put it on the ground in the middle of a warehouse (wire rack, 1' above it, >1' to either side, 1' behind, etc.)

I know there are 'some' quality issues, but this is still mass-market gear and QA sometimes has to suffer so prices can stay low. If I buy through J&R, it is an authorized dealer, so no big deal.

Ultimatly, this thing will be driving Klipsch Reference gear, so I don't need 200 watts a channel.

Questions:

Compared to my current $300 Sony receiver, will the headphone amp be a lot better? I use headphones a lot.

Anything else I should know???!!!

Thanks! Even with my weak JBL's, I feel going from the Sony to this will make a HUGE difference in sound quality, as my Sony was designed to drive a cheap HT, not a tool/toy for someone into audio.

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

3. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Well I have Klipsch speakers myself and own the Harman/Kardon AVR-225 reciever. Now I have to say this thing is just awesome with my Klipsch speakers.

The power output is great, the quality is great, the amp power is just awesome, and the features for the price is unbelieveable.

As for quality issues, alot of them are with there older models from the years before. As far as I know from the xx5 models for this year alot of the problems have been fixed.

4. Kenneth Harden

Wayne - I desire better quality, not more power. I figure I will get a seperate headphone amp someday.

$611 from onecall.com and $650 from Amazon/J&R. I will have to see the shipping cost differences, but I would prefer J&R, as I feel they might take a little better care of me than an online store if stuff went bad.

Did you know the J&R store in NYC has never fired/laid off anyone, except for a few people that have shoplifted? People work there and LOVE it and stay. I wish I could work there [​IMG]

Anyway, the room is 13' X 13'6 X 9' - so I don't need a 4 Kw. Crown. If I don't do the Klipsch RF-35's, I will also look at the Paradigm Reference Studio 60's - and with 91 dB. sens., they are doing pretty darn well. But the RF-35's have 98 dB. sens. - thats hard to beat!

5. MarkMaximus

MarkMaximus Stunt Coordinator

I am a proud owner of a AVR-525, the only things I would prempt you with is the receivers tendancy to skip on anything that has "tracks", when the CD (or whatever) goes to a new track, it automatically tries to decipher what type the audio signal is (how its encoded) it takes less than a second, but it is certainly noticeable. The other thing is that the ability for the remote to automatically set your independant channel volumes sucks and you should definately use a SPL meter. I have my AVR-525 driving 2 JBL S312's 2 JBL S26's and a S-Center. No rear surrounds as of yet, no sub as of yet. I am very pleased with the power output of the AVR and all my friends are impressed. I went with this receiver on many other suggestions and I am definately not dissapointed. I also got it refurbished from JandR for 525 or something like that, really good deal. I haven't had any problems with it even though its refurbed. Best of luck.

6. Kenneth Harden

What do you mean it pauses between tracks on a CD? I listen to mostly music.

I THINK my Sony is doing that, as I run the digital out from the CD changer into the receiver. It really doesn't bother me.

7. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

Maximus,
    One thing that people don't notice about new HK receivers is that there is a plastic blue protective film over the black face of the receiver. You'll need to remove that to get the EZset calibration to work properly because it interacts with the receiver back and forth with the remote. Usually there is a sticker on the front that says remove plastic film before use but sometimes the sticker isn't there.

I know my calibration worked much better after removing the protective film. It's only there for shipping purposes.

The delay between tracks is when using a digital input. The receiver is trying to auto sense the digital signal. You might miss a second of a song on a CD. If you use analog inputs for your CD, you won't have this problem. I've had other non HK receivers do the same thing.

8. Scott>G

Scott>G Agent

Kenneth,

I recently bought a HK AVR 325. When I was doing my research I found a store in NJ, 6th Ave Electronics, that also sells on the web, that is blowing out their HK's. They are no longer going to be carrying the line. They are an authorized dealer currently. Their price is $547.77 plus shipping etc. while supplies last type of thing.

Try 6ave.com

good luck.

Scott

9. EvanS

EvanS Auditioning

Scott...and others,
    NOT to steer you in any direction but HK, like so many others, is reserving the right to not honor warranty if unit is bought by non-authorized re or e-tailers.
    6th Ave lists themselves as authorized but HK does not. Found that 6th Ave IS authorized HK dealer through the B&M storefront, but not for internet sales. OneCall, on the other hand IS authorized for walk in and internet selling of HK gear.
    I have, and will, purchase from both. I only bring this up if you want ot consider the ramifications on HK's 2-year warranty. [​IMG]

10. Kenneth Harden

Because I am p00r, I will pay the extra $50, 100 to ensure I have the warranty. The last thing I want is to get my receiver DOA and be stuck with it.

Anyway, J&R/Amazon have treated me very well for the last few years I have used them, and I would like to do business again with them.

Damn, I never thought I would spend $650 on Amazon! [​IMG] - but I would actually order from J&R's site.