What's new

Another HK 520 question, DDex possiblities? (1 Viewer)

sean_k

Auditioning
sorry 'bout asking this but I am now in a little bit of a debacle bc the 525 has dropped in price again :| The fact that the 525 has DD ex has me in a stink. The 7 powered channels is no biggie bc i was plainning on getting an amp at some pt in the future, but dd ex for my HT was a big deal.

Is there anyway to connect an external DDex processor to the hk520? I guess if it ever comes in a dvd player i could right?

I am aware that it can do psuedo dd ex, how different is it then regular dd ex? Is this worth the stink of an upgrade?

Thanks
sean

Chris Purvis

Stunt Coordinator
there's no way to do it simply and cleanly, unless you want to give up dts-es. If you don't mind rearranging wires to switch between DD-EX and dts-es then I suppose you could do it (unless someone has made an outboard DD-EX add-on processor which also adds on dts-es but I really doubt such an animal exists).

Pseudo DD-EX? I have no idea what you are talking about there.

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like you really want the DD-EX. Better off to go with the the 525, even if you don't want to use the extra channel amps. From the extra weight of the 525 (9lbs heavier than 520), I doubt HK gave-up anything in the amp section. Adding any outboard DD-EX will be much more expensive then the current price difference between 520 and 525. The only thing you would be giving up, is the main-ins of the 520, which allows it to be used as a separate amp.

JohnS

sean_k

Auditioning
thanks guys, i guess i have to really figure out my wants and needs. I figure by the time i use the 6th channel i will probly buy a new amp.... who knows. I am happy with what i have, so i may just keep it. Plus i have the option of going the route of seperates with the 520.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Take the rear left/right pre-amp outputs from the 520, connect them up to an old Pro-Logic receiver, put it in Pro-Logic mode (also try 'Dolby 3' mode) and connect the center-rear speaker to the center channel output of the old receiver. Voila...Dolby Digital EX (at least pseudo EX).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks