Another HK 520 question, DDex possiblities?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by sean_k, Dec 19, 2002.

1. sean_k

sean_k Auditioning

sorry 'bout asking this but I am now in a little bit of a debacle bc the 525 has dropped in price again :| The fact that the 525 has DD ex has me in a stink. The 7 powered channels is no biggie bc i was plainning on getting an amp at some pt in the future, but dd ex for my HT was a big deal.

Is there anyway to connect an external DDex processor to the hk520? I guess if it ever comes in a dvd player i could right?

I am aware that it can do psuedo dd ex, how different is it then regular dd ex? Is this worth the stink of an upgrade?

Thanks
    sean

2. sean_k

sean_k Auditioning

anyone? [​IMG]

3. Chris Purvis

Chris Purvis Stunt Coordinator

there's no way to do it simply and cleanly, unless you want to give up dts-es. If you don't mind rearranging wires to switch between DD-EX and dts-es then I suppose you could do it (unless someone has made an outboard DD-EX add-on processor which also adds on dts-es but I really doubt such an animal exists).

Pseudo DD-EX? I have no idea what you are talking about there.

4. JohnSer

JohnSer Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like you really want the DD-EX. Better off to go with the the 525, even if you don't want to use the extra channel amps. From the extra weight of the 525 (9lbs heavier than 520), I doubt HK gave-up anything in the amp section. Adding any outboard DD-EX will be much more expensive then the current price difference between 520 and 525. The only thing you would be giving up, is the main-ins of the 520, which allows it to be used as a separate amp.

JohnS

5. sean_k

sean_k Auditioning

thanks guys, i guess i have to really figure out my wants and needs. I figure by the time i use the 6th channel i will probly buy a new amp.... who knows. I am happy with what i have, so i may just keep it. Plus i have the option of going the route of seperates with the 520.

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Take the rear left/right pre-amp outputs from the 520, connect them up to an old Pro-Logic receiver, put it in Pro-Logic mode (also try 'Dolby 3' mode) and connect the center-rear speaker to the center channel output of the old receiver. Voila...Dolby Digital EX (at least pseudo EX).