another hdtv xbox question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Weldy, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Matt Weldy

Matt Weldy Second Unit

This could be rather long so please bear with me. I was reading the 720p thread. I dont have 720p with my hdtv (samsung hcl-5515w). So I was wondering I have two imputs for componet 480i/480p and 480p/1080i. I switched my xbox over to the 480p/1080i set and turned it on. The microsoft set up screen was all messed up. Half of the xbox logo was on one side and half was on the other. So now i cant see any of the settings. But the games play fine. And my dvd player that was origionally hooked up to number 2 had no problems at all. Why does the opening screen not show correctly?

2. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

XBOX set up screen is not 480P while most games are, so the initial screen looks screwy while the game looks just fine.

3. Matt Weldy

Matt Weldy Second Unit

its donsent look screwy I cant even read the screen to set it up any different way. but with the xbox set up the exact same way in componet 1 its fine. It has something to do with the 480/1080 input

4. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Like Mikey said, the Xbox dashboard screen is not 480p, it is 480i. 99% of the games are 480p, so they display fine. According to the info above, the input you're using can't accept 480i, so that's the problem.

5. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

Matt, did you get this figured out or is it still messed up?
    If it is how about going into the tv setup screen and try changing RGB to YPrPb for that input. Hope it helps.[​IMG]

6. Matt Weldy

Matt Weldy Second Unit

Yeah I got it figured out. I guess I dont have 720P so in hopes that the tv was changing it to 1080i I had to plug it into the 480p/1080i inputs. However since the dashboard is only 480i I had to switch it back and just accept that is going to be run at 480p. When the 1080i games start to come out I will have to do something different. Now though I got to thinking since I dont have a set top box yet for hdtv. When I get a box I am going to have to run a set of componets to the 480p/1080i slot on the tv and a regular s video for all of my analogs. Since the hi def inputs wont accept the 480i. But I'll get it to work. I guess if I wanted all of this to be easy I should of bought 5,000 dollar model. But I didnt so I'll make due. Thanks for youre help.

7. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

8. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Yeah, Toshiba's do (they convert it, anyway) and are among the cheapest. Mits Diamond and Pioneer Elite, do not. Cost has nothing to do with this feature, for the most part.

9. NathanS

NathanS Agent

I can't really remember but doesn't the HD A/V pack have a composite video out? If so put that on one of the other video inputs, for when you go into the dashboard.