another Harman/Kardon receiver question.....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ColtonA, Jan 6, 2003.

1. ColtonA

ColtonA Stunt Coordinator

I have narrowed down my choice to either the H/K AVR 225 or 325.........I dont know if I should just go for the 325 even thought I prob wont make use of the 7 channels off the bat but it prevents me from having to upgrade later. Does the 225 have a preoutput for and additional 2 channels if one was to go that route later down the road? And any other reasons why I should choose the 325 over the 225? thanks........

2. VictorA

VictorA Auditioning

I have the 225 and can only comment on that. It does not have a 7 channel out. Only the standard 5.1. It does have have the 6ch. digital input though. But I am sure the 325 has this as well. I have been very happy with my 225. It is rated at onlt 45 wpc but it seems to crank out more that that. It also has that warm sound that harmon is known for. Hope it helps

3. Joe Vidanes

Joe Vidanes Auditioning

Check it out...Head to head comparison.

AVR 225 AVR 325
    Stereo RMS Power (watts) 65 65
    THD in Stereo 0.07 % 0.07 %
    Front Surround Power(watts x 3)55 50
    Rear Surround Power (watts)55 50
    FM Sensitivity 13.2 dBf 13.2 dBf
    96k/24-bit Capable Yes Yes
    192k/24-Bit CapableYesYes
    MP3 Decoding NoYes
    On-Screen DisplayYesYes
    Multiple Zones/SourcesNone 2 / 2
    Remote Control Multibrand A/V Multibrand A/V
    Learning Remote NoYes
    LCD Remote No No
    Width (inches) 17-5/16 17-5/16
    Height (inches) 6-9/16 6-11/16
    Depth (inches) 15-3/4 18-9/16
    Parts Warranty 2 Years 2 Years
    Labor Warranty 2 Years2 Years
    THX Certification NoNo
    Dolby Pro Logic II Yes Yes
    Dolby Digital Yes Yes
    Dolby Digital EX No Yes
    THX Surround EX NoNo
    DTS Yes Yes
    DTS ES No Yes
    DTS Neo:6 No Yes
    Video Soundfields 4 7
    Phono Input No No
    Audio-Video Inputs 5 5
    Front A/V Inputs RCA/S-Video RCA/S-Video
    Audio Inputs 2 2
    Composite Video Monitor Outputs 11
    S-Video Inputs 5 5
    S-Video Outputs 2 2
    S-Video Monitor Outputs 1 1
    Component Video Inputs None 2
    Component Video Monitor Outputs None1
    Component Video Bandwidth --- 50MHz
    Optical Digital Inputs 3 3
    Coaxial Digital Inputs 3 3
    Optical Digital Outputs 1 1
    Coaxial Digital Outputs 1 1
    Multi-channel Inputs 5.15/7.1
    Subwoofer Outputs 11
    Preamp Outputs 18
    Main Speaker Output Pairs 1 1
    Main Speaker Terminals Binding Posts Binding Posts
    USB Connection NoneNone
    i.Link/IEEE 1394 Connection None None

4. John Spicer

John Spicer Agent

I hate to add another one to the mix, but whynot the 320 ?
    I LOVE mine.

-- John

5. ColtonA

Is the 320 last years model?

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

How often do you upgrade your equipment? If you tend to keep an item for as long as you can, go with the 325. If you always update to the latest and greatest, go with the 225.

I know there is a small difference in power between the units (with the 225 having the higher spec), but if you're only driving 5 channels, the 325 will have at least as much as the 225. Think about possible applications for dual zone audio too. I never thought I'd use this myself, but I did and now I miss it (trying a Panasonic HE200 at home right now).

7. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Go for the 325 or even the 320- a better upgrade path is always best. I have the HK225 and love it but would have gone the 320 or 325 if it were a real option at the time- probem was the other stuff I neeed to buy to go with it, which although I bought mostly used, was still costly.

8. ColtonA

whats the difference between the 320 and 325???

9. John Spicer

John Spicer Agent

The biggest difference is the price (just got my 320 for $399 delivered) is that the 325 has better base management and has 7 amplified channels instead of 5. If you want to do anything more than 5.1 with the 320 you have to use an outboard amp for the other channels. With the 325 you dont, or, with the 325 you can use it for dual zone and not need another amp like you would with the 320. I think the last major difference is that the 325 might support one more level of decoding than the 320. I guess it depends on how important having 6+.1 decoding is to you.

-- John

10. TimothyE

TimothyE Stunt Coordinator

Another difference, which made a difference to me, is the component switching is rated 10Hz – 50MHz(–3dB) on the 325. Component video switching on the 320 is rated 10Hz – 35MHz (–3dB).

Tim

11. ColtonA

Are they both this years model? I dont see the 320 on H/K's website........

12. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

The 320 is an older model and that's why you can get it for less right now. Look to Jandr.com and other sights for a good deal on it and do a search on this forum for that info, too. The 320 also comes up from time to time on HK's web sight when they have a refurb to sell- which should be fine since it comes with a full warranty from them. A refurb from elsewhere, I would hesitate on.

13. ColtonA

I dont understand the dual zone audio thing.........can someone please explain........thanks.....

14. David Lorenzo

David Lorenzo Stunt Coordinator

Dual zone is when the back 2 amp channels are used to power a set of speakers in a different location other than the main listening area. For example, you could listen to the radio in your kitchen while someone else watches a movie with the main system. Very good feature IMO.

15. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

Take, for example, the 325.

You have seven amp outs: Center, left, right, surround left, surround right, surround back left and surround back right.

If you go for a 5.1 setup, you won't be using the surround back left and right. This HT is your 'first zone'

What you can then do, with a bit of extra wiring and effort, is configure the surround back left and right channels as a 'second zone'. Say this leads to your kitchen.

Then, you can watch movies in your HT (say through your dvd player), using the receiver's 'first zone' to process HT sounds. At the same time, your kids can be making a snack in the kitchen listening to another source, say radio, using the reciever's 'second zone' to process radio sounds.

This is the theory as I understand it. To the others -- please correct me if I've made a mistake.

Jason

16. ColtonA

I understand now.........so if I want say a set of speakers in my room I could configure it so its possible..........but does that mean I still have to control all the buttons from the entertainment area? or can I have a seperate dedicated CD player in my room? so that all the receiver is doing is powering the speakers....? thanks.........

17. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

Another thing the 325 adds is Dolby Digital EX decoding. It's only a matrixed solution, but hey, it still sounds good if you're running a 6/7.1 system.

18. John Spicer

John Spicer Agent

Actually most dual source recievers (like the 320) come with 2 remotes. One is the main remote for the system, and the second is a smaller remote for the second zone. If you arent in line of sight of the reciever there are options available to extend the range of the remotes so that you can use them.

-- John

19. skip marr

skip marr Stunt Coordinator

A couple of questions:

1. Do any of you HK owners think the HK sound is better than the new Marantz - say the 7300 unit? I have HK now and love it, but a lot of people like the Marantz. However, can't find a dealer to do an A:B test.

2. What HK models, if any, have on board cooling fans? 225? 320? 325? I have heard to purchase a receiver without a cooling fan due to noise. Please advise.

3. Does anyone know anything about the new HK Digital receiver coming out? Model DPR 1001>

4. On dual zone audio, will the HK manage both sources in their unit? I.E. - 5.1 movies in the family room and CD or tuner in the kitchen - without any additional outboard tuners needed?

Thanks for anyones advice or comments.

20. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

You can't use the ZoneII remote directly with the H/K - it'll operate it just like the main remote does. You need an IR receiver in the 2nd zone (Xantech Hidden Link), with the output from the IR receiver running into the ZoneII remote input on the back of the H/K. On the 325, I believe you can indeed configure the 6th and 7th channel to power ZoneII speakers. Otherwise, the ZoneII output is pre-amp. The 325 and 525 also work with the Russound A-Bus system, which features amplified control panels (www.russound.com)
    Skip, the answer to your question #4 is yes! ZoneII operates completely independently from the main room. The only limitation is, of course, if you're watching a DVD in the main room and your DVD player is also your CD player, you won't be able to listen to CDs in the 2nd zone.