1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Another Ghost question

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jon_Are, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I'm having difficulties Ghosting my drive. I am using Ghost Basic 2003, trying to ghost the main drive to a drive on a second networked computer.

(The "Radified Guide To Norton Ghost" is no help to me; it covers just the DOS version.)

I get as far (using the backup wizard) as the CREATE A NEW BACKUP IMAGE window. Specifically, in the field where it asks for IMAGE FILE NAME, I'm stuck.

My understanding is that I'm supposed to identify, at this point, which file the ghosted image will reside.

However, whenever I attempt this, I get this message:

UNC path names cannot be used to specify the location of the Ghost image file. A path using a mapped network drive may be used instead.

Windows XP, by the way.

Any help is appreciated.

Jon

2. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

You have to map the location as a drive letter within explorer first rather then locating it as a function on your network..

In other words:

Go to network neighborhood.
    Find the computer you are going to ghost too.
    Open it.
    Find the drive that is shared that you will be ghosting too.
    Right click on the drive.
    Select "Map Network Drive" map it to whatever letter you want.

Now repeat the procedure within ghost but point instead of to \machinenamedriveshared to Z: (or whatever letter you selected above)

NOTE: this will (AFAIK) create a GHOST.IMG type file, and not a bootable clone of the drive, that procedure normally requires it to boot to a DOS mode.

[​IMG]

3. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I know I'm dense, but:

1- What does it mean to "map" a location? What does "Map Network Drive" mean?

2- What will a "GHOST.IMG type file" do for me (or not do), as opposed to a "bootable clone of the drive"?

Thanks!

Jon

4. JunoVazquez

JunoVazquez Stunt Coordinator

1. map is assigning a drive letter to a specific "space" in your network drive. this is no different than your "a:" drive or "d:" drive.

2. ghost.img - if you do this, the ghost image or copy of your drive is turned into a file. You will then open this file as a source for the new hardrive.

5. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Meaning programs, data files, drivers, OS, etc.?

Or just the OS and its settings?

Jon

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Everything in that drive/partition.

7. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

The drive I want to ghost to, which is located on my second (basement) computer, is already designated F. If I "map" that drive, do I designate it something else?

Why do I need to map it (assign it a letter) if it already is assigned F?

Thanks,

Jon

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

So did you tell Ghost to create the image file on the F: drive then?

9. JustinG

JustinG Stunt Coordinator

Is it designated as teh F drive on the basement machine or F drive on your local?

Basically, goto the basement. Open My Computer. Right click>Properties>Sharing Tab. Enable sharing on the drive you want to put the image on and name it something like C$ (or any name).

Then go back to the local machine (the one you are ghosting) open windows explorer, click Tools>Map Network Drive. Then type \

10. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I've got it; thanks to all who pitched in to help.

Now...

Assuming my main drive - the one that I Ghosted - crashes and burns. How do I go about restoring it to its previous condition?

I assume I would:

Re-install Xp, then
    install Ghost, then
    direct Ghost to restore and point it to the Ghosted image I created (which is located on a second, networked PC)?

Is it that simple?

Jon

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

To avoid all of these complications, I simply use a second identically sized hard drive, and do a disk-to-disk ghost from the primary hard drive to the backup hard drive. I use a boot floppy that has the Ghost client on it, and have it ghost from primary HD to backup HD. If/when something hoses the primary HD, I just boot up with the floppy and have the copy go from backup HD to primary HD. I don't have to mess with re-loading the operating system and Ghost and trying to get the Ghost to see it on a network or anything else. (plus I don't think you can even ghost back to the active drive).

The cost of an extra HD is minimal when you factor in all the time you'd have to use to do the re-loading of the hard drive from scratch.

12. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I appreciate your trying to help, Patrick, but much of what you wrote is simply above my head.

so...

would this:

work for me??

Jon

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I just don't think that approach is going to work because your original hard drive can't be the booted operating system when it's getting ghosted. Does the Ghost tutorial/manual explain how you would restore an image once it's been created?

The whole idea of ghost is that you are creating an image that will duplicate everything from the source drive/partition. But restoring requires Ghost being able to access the image file and writing it to the target drive. This requires booting from somewhere else (floppy drive or CD), and then getting the networking working between the PC and the other PC with the image on it, and telling Ghost where to find the image file, and then where it should restore that image file. This isn't a trivial task.

I'm just not certain you can restore a ghost image to an active partition/drive that it's running on.

This is one of those exercises where it's much easier to show in person than it is to type about because there are many pitfalls if you don't things correctly in the right order.

If you can figure out how to connect 2 identical hard drives on the same IDE cable, then the ghosting would be much easier and less complicated. It would also involve creating a bootable floppy disk, and also placing the Ghost executable on it (or a separate floppy disk if it didn't fit on the boot disk), and running the Ghost program once you boot from the floppy. Ghost might even have a feature that will create a Ghost floppy boot disk for you. Then you can tell Ghost to copy from Disk-to-disk, and you select the Source drive and the Target drive, and tell it to start the process.

14. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I thought there was a lan driver section to ghost to allow it to recover a ghost image from a networked drive. I haven't used that aspect yet but I'm pretty sure its available on my copy of ghost.