another fresh sod thread

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Philip_G, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I've had my sod down for oh, about 2 months now. It's nice and green, it seems to have rooted nicely and there's no sign of the sod lines anymore.

I've been using a new seed/sod fertilizer, and it REALLY greens it up for about a week, I get a good growth spurt, then the next week it's like it's burned up all the fuel and needs some more. At least the neighbors notice, everyone asks about it [​IMG]

so the question is, do you think it's too early to use a "regular" fertillizer like weed n feed, or should I just apply this stuff every week or two? My hope is that the normal stuff would release slower and maybe stick arounf longer, if that makes sense [​IMG]

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

What's the stuff you're putting down? Do you know the nitrogen content?

The sod should've come pretty well fertilized from the farm. So, you really shouldn't need to do much more than water and mow it until September when you could put down a standard fertilizer... and then again in November.

3. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

I put down sod in late May and all I do is water it every other day. So far it's flourishing...just one or two brown spots on the edges but we've had about 10 consecutive days in the 90's - a new record!

I have kentucky blue...

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

it's a new seed/sod fert. I didn't pay attention and threw the bad away, let me look around.

November might be a little late around my parts, snow and all [​IMG]

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

AH! here it is, vigoro ultra turf starter fertilizer.

it's 20-27-5

Everyone loves a thick, green lawn. If you're starting a new lawn from sod or seed, overseeding a thin lawn or filling in bare patches, you'll get better seed germination and faster sod establishment when you use Vigoro® Starter Fertilizer 20-27-5. It has lower nitrogen than regular lawn fertilizer, so it won't burn tender young seedlings, and higher phosphorus content to promote a thick, vigorous root system. Plus, its exclusive CTR™ Composite Timed-Release nitrogen formula guarantees a quick, long-lasting feeding will be systematically delivered to your plants. Just apply it at the time of seeding or sodding. It's easy to apply using a broadcast or rotary spreader. One bag covers up to 5000 sq. ft. Read and follow all label instructions.

• Establishes new lawns quicker
    • Time-release extended feeding.
    • Promotes strong root development
    • Won't burn tender young seedlings

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i tivo's the grow-it and mow-it show on diy network. a couple of things i noticed they all said.

1. time-release fertilizer is better, as it's a long term nourishment for the lawn. not a quick fix.

2. less frequent, but *deeper* waterings is preferred. so maybe every other day, but for longer periods of time.

3. don't water at night. it can promote fungus growth.

that being said, i pretty much follow those rules anyway.

7. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Supporting Actor

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Linda I love that.

Philip I don't think you should be fertilizing that sod. You're probably doing more harm than good, it was well fertilized from the sod farm. Over fertilizing is worse than not fertilizing.

Water it often the first year.

9. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

this thread is nearly 6 months old.
    the sod was doing fine, it's dormant now.

it's the backyard that's a mess.