What's new

Another Flexi Rack & an Active Crossover (1 Viewer)

Here are some pictures of my Flexi Rack and Active Crossover.
www.bluemarine.com.au/mark
Check out the yachts while your there.
The Rack is made out of Tasmanian Oak veneered MDF. I angled the sides back so it didn't look so boxy.
I made rubber washers out of an old car inner tube, using a round chisel/punch and a bit of sharpended stainless tube inserted into a drill press (not turned on!).
It's finished with 2 pack polyurethane floor coating (wear a respirator, unless your tough/stupid).
I put the 5/8" allthread in a cordless drill and held steel wool around it to clean it up.
The active crossover is a 3 channel (LCR), 3 way 4th order Linkwitz Riley. Crossing over at 110Hz and 2400Hz. The centre channel bass sums into the L and R bass signals.
I got the circuit and pcb's from Rod Elliot at Link Removed
The crossover has made a big improvement over the main speaker's passive crossovers, especially in imaging, clarity, and it goes heaps louder without distress.

Tom D

Stunt Coordinator
WOW, the stand looks great!!! The workmanship on your active crossover's looks fantastic too.
drool.gif

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for sharing, Mark. Nice design modification to the flexy theme - beautiful work! Your crossover shows really good workmanship and you obviously are pleased with the sound. I've visited Rod Elliot's web site and his crossover designs are tempting - he has PCB's available.
Hat's off to your D-I-Y work! :)

Chad Anson

Second Unit
Your flexi looks fantastic! Very professional. I particularly like the the rounded corners. Did you apply a veneer strip along the edges?

Yes Chad, I applied veneer tape to the edges, it took ages.
The rounded corner was done with a router, using a template made from rough plywood and a router bit with a ball bearing on the bottom, which presses against the template.
I spent ages going through all the archived pages and other flexi websites, they were a great help

Brett_A

Stunt Coordinator
Looks great. Everyday I am amazed at the ingenuity of the members here to create gorgeous looking pieces. Well done!
------------------
Brett

Andy, it took about a month to build. I designed it on the CAD system at work (it' great for enclosures as well, in fact I have my whole HT room modelled - whats work for after all?). I built it at my father-in-law's boat building factory. A professional particle board saw cutting easily capable of 8'x4' sheets was a big help (so was my father-in-law).

Jon_B

Screenwriter
Wow!!! This could be the best all-in-one flexy design that I've ever seen. Very nice. The design kicks ass, and so does that veneer finish you used. Kudos.
Thanks for sharing.
Jon

TerryC

Stunt Coordinator
Does indeed look great. Best one I've seen.
I hope you braced the TV shelf?
Terry

Terry
Thanks a lot! Actually the TV shelf is not braced. I built another shelf that doubled the thickness of the shelf under the tv, but after (careful) load testing I found that I didn't need it. The shelf deflects less than 2mm (about 1/8" I think) with the weight of the TV. I tested it by making (well, asking actually) my girlfriend sit on it. She weighs a bit less than the 55kg TV, but she was sitting in the middle of the shelf not evenly distributed across it like the TV.
I also made some 'U' shaped book/DVD/Video ends out of the scrap that I had left over. These stop the DVD's from falling over, or going in too deep into the rack when you are trying to grab them with the clumsy mits. They also block the view of the cable jungle thats behind the cabinet. The one directly below the TV will stop the shelf from bending too much. These are just positioned using 'Blu-tac' and are easily removable when I buy or build more stuff. One day I'll get around to staining them, but its 40 deg C (104ish F) here at the moment, so I'm just drinking beer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks