What's new

Another "Flat" DVD of a 3-D movie SIGH (1 Viewer)

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Anchor Bay is releasing Charles Band's PARASITE (Demi Moore's first leading role!) in August, but with NO 3-D version included. What a waste. The film has already been released on DVD twice in a flat version, and now we get the same thing again? No sale here.

Excellent VHS widescreen 3-D (field sequential) versions of this film have been around for years. Why couldn't Anchor Bay have gone the extra mile and put the 3-D version out along with the flat conversion?

In fact, 3-D versions of Bands other 3-D films (METALSTORM and THE CREEPS) are also in circulation.

M

MaxY

Well actually you do get something different this time on DVD, it is widescreen. :)
I would love to see some well done 3D on DVD, but for the masses you have to release the 2D versions. I would like to see them include the 3D as an alternate like many movies do with full frame. That would be the best of both worlds.
BTW Awhile back there was an ALL 3D network on my Big Dish. They showed nothing but 3D films 24/7. It eventually disappeared. Often times you see channels show up on the Big Dish as they are hoping to get picked up by Cable systems and perhaps the mini0dish systems and if they don't they just fade away.
Currently my favorite not on cable yet channel is B-Mania. Which shows B-movies round the clock and has themed days. They even show many movies in widescreen too. They have actually been around for over a year now and I wonder if any Cable cos have picked them up yet.
Max

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
WTF? I heard Anchor Bay WAS going to put this out in field-sequential 3-D! I've heard it's a terrible movie anyways (like many of the 3-D movies made in the 80's) so what's the point if they're not going to do it in 3-D???

GregK

Screenwriter
No 3-D .. No Sale! :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
I'll keep my widescreen field-sequential VHS version and
wait until it's done on DVD right.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
They should have taken a hint from the 13 Ghosts release (although it's not 3D, it's a similar gimmick and also requires specs) and put the regular version on one side and the 3D version on the other, and then included two pairs of cheap cardboard 3D glasses. I won't buy this movie, but I would have if it were available in 3D - and I imagine that most of the people who will be walking by and catch a glimpse of this title when it streets won't take any notice. How peculiar!

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I wouldn't have been interested had they put out a low quality, red/blue anaglyph downconversion. Those things are almost always horrible.
What they needed to do was put it out using field sequential technology (like the IMAX discs). Heck, as has been mentioned, a great 3-D VHS version of PARASITE for home viewing has been around for years. It's not like they had to invent the technology, it already exists, and companies are using it for DVD more and more. Anchor Bay missed a lot of sales by not including this option.
Universal, Warner, Columbia and many others could be selling a lot of 3-D DVDs if they'd listen. They can always put a flat print on the discs as well, for those who don't have the glasses.
On this subject, for those who are interested in this 3-D technology, remember that you can also make YOUR OWN 3-D MOVIES EASILY with an attachment that works with almost any standard camcorder. It works! Check out Link Removed for more info. And no, I am not involved with them.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Hey Guys, what's up with those 3D movies???
Do you have to wear silly glasses to watch these or what?
Unless it's the new technology with gray glasses and full color 3D, then what's the deal?

just curious...

Matthew H

Second Unit
I was going to pick it up (assuming it was going to be in 3D), but forget it now. :angry:
Since this is just a huge B-movie, they know it doesn't appeal to everybody. Not releasing it the way people want it isn't a way to get huge sales numbers.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
A 3-D system is required to view this type of movie. This consists of a small driver box that connects to your VCR or DVD player. Electronic LCD glasses connect to this box with a wire in the basic systems, but wireless glasses that transmit to the driver box are also available if you are willing to spend a bit more.

Ever been to an IMAX 3-D movie? It's basically the same thing except on a smaller level. The glasses are much lighter of course.

Full color, truly stereoscopic images result! We are NOT talking about the cardboard red/blue thing that has been used here and there on TV with poor results.

The cheapest way to come on board is to buy either the IMAX Ultimate 3-D set or the upcoming IMAX Ultimate HORROR 3-D set. Each of these contain three different 3-D DVDs, and a complete system including driver box and 2 pairs of LCD glasses. These sell for as little as $69.99 @ Best Buy and can be purchased from DVD Planet, Amazon or other forum sponsors as well.

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
The old 3D movies like Kiss Me Kate, Hondo, and any other movie should be on those flippers. 3D on one side if you feel like watching in 3D and just regular 2D on the other side. Once and a while, we may want to watch it in 3D with the glasses, or 2D if you don't feel like having fun with the movie. I like 3D, but those glasses can give you a headache after too long.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks