Another facet of the OAR debate

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Merrick, Oct 16, 2001.

1. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    Has anyone in the media discussed the impact of Pan & Scan on 16:9 televisions?
    Maybe I am mistaken, but isn't the upcoming 2006 FCC digital deadline going to send thousands, if not millions, of widescreen televisions into U.S. homes? I am already seeing quite a few widescreen sets featured in the electronics store ads each Sunday.
    If so, maybe someone should start telling these Pan & Scan proponents that when they buy their next tv, all of their P&S titles will have black bars on the sides! "Bite the bullet now, and learn to love OAR, and anamorphic - of course, and you will be glad you did down the road."
    Maybe I am naive, well actually I know I am, but it certainly seems like a side of the discussion that could actually have impact on the uneducated among us.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

2. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

[Joe6Pack]
    What the hell you talkin about, son? I ain't buyin no new TV in 2006. I want to keep mine with the picture on the whole screen, the big screen. All they're doing with that widescreen TV nonsense is cutting off the top and bottom of the picture, anyway. Ain't those things like $15,000? How much more are they gonna be in five years, what with inflation and all?
    [/Joe6Pack]
    Good luck.
    ------------------
    Andrew Hamm's new album Strange Education is available now!

3. richard plumb

richard plumb Stunt Coordinator

[J6P]Hey, I bought one of them fancy widescreen TeeVees, but my DVDs still have them dang black bar thingys on 'em. I figured payin' so much fer new technology would get rid of 'em
    [/J6P]

4. AdrianOC

AdrianOC Stunt Coordinator

[J6P]Whats a tv???[/J6P]
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "Want to hold up a bank in Latin?
    "Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam."
    (I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)
    My DVD List

5. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

That's 4 years away!!! They'll have re-released every movie in the current catalogue at least twice by then. [​IMG]
    Oh and those HD-DVDs will have come out so those movies will be widescreen anyhow.
    Theo

6. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Not to mention the 2006 deadline has all sorts of weasel language that the networks and independent stations will use to blow it off completely. Anyone thinking they're going to be seeing nothing by 16:9 or HDTV in 2006 is smoking crack. And not good crack.
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."