Another Energy Veritas Question?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by JasonIs, Jul 2, 2003.

1. JasonIs

JasonIs Agent

A local dealer owns the veritas speakers and surrounds, a pair of V2.4, V2.0C center, and 3 V2.0R rears for a total of 6 speakers. He claims he has only owned them for 3 months and wants to dump them so he can purchase the new veritas when they come out. He is asking $3,000 for all 6 speakers. I am kinda new to the HT scene and I dont know how much speakers depreciate, and if he could be ling about how long he has had the speakers. Does this seem like a good deal? or should I try to go lower. I know as a dealer that he probably paid cost for the speakers and may still be making a profit even selling the whole system for $3,000.

2. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

can you tell us what the MSRP is for all 6 speakers? that will give us a chance to see what dealer cost is approximately and what kind of a deal you're getting.

As far as the dealer-I can't give you a judgment without meeting him and seeing what he's like. He may be lying or he may be telling the truth. What are your impressions of him? Does he seem like a straightshooter?

3. JasonIs

JasonIs Agent

From my understanding the v2.4 msrp for $3500/pair the v2.0C is $750 the v2.0R are $1000/pair. so that adds up to be about $5750 new at MSRP.

4. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Good Guys is selling off their current Veritas inventory at up to 50% off retail, so I'd say it is not a good deal.

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Well he's basically selling it for just about dealer cost (maybe a little more).

I looked at Good Guys' website and didn't see the Veritas models Jason listed. Are they available in stores? If so, that may be the way to go, if they are 50% off because at least you'll have the piece of mind that they're new, from an authorized dealer, so your 5 year warranty is intact.

6. JasonIs

JasonIs Agent

I called the GoodGuys online store, and they said they were out of the veritas speakers and that the retail stores were selling what they had left for cheap. So I called a few of the stores randomly and most are selling the floor models discounted. Plus I live in Florida, so shipping would really suck from California.

7. Gerry S

Gerry S Stunt Coordinator

If you can see and listen to them first, confirm that everything is in good working order without any cosmetic damage, and forego shipping charges (as well as the risk of shipping damage), my opinion is that it is a decent deal.

It's worth a try to negotiate the price, or try to get him to throw in some quality cables or something.

BTW I sent you a PM with the price I paid for 5 channels.

8. Bill-T

Bill-T Extra

Suggested retail price:

V2.4 - $3500 pr
    V2.3 - $2500 pr
    V2.2 - $1500 pr
    V2.1 - $1000 pr
    V2.0C - $750 each
    V2.0R - $1000 pr