Another Ebay "Dead beat bidders" thread with a twist What to do?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KyleS, Oct 28, 2002.

1. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Here is what happened. I put a laptop up for sale on Ebay, the auction was up for 2 days, and a buyer used Buy it Now to close purchase the laptop. An Email was sent from Ebay explaining that the user would like to use Escrow which I totally understand since there have been a lot of laptop scams lately on Ebay. I setup and send Escrow through Escrow.com and hear NOTHING back from the user. After 5 days I send a payment reminder to him and still nothing. After 10 days I send an email to the user from 2 of my email accounts asking what is going on (and to make sure the problem wasn't on my end with receiving email) and threatened negative feedback. He finally responds and apologizes but due to family issues he was not able to respond and will not be able to purchase the laptop. Well now I don't have a buyer for the laptop and according to Ebays rules since he did get in touch with me I cant get the listing fees back.
    To top it off he is asking that I not leave negative feedback on his account (which is all positive so far). since it really was out of his control... So what do I do? Can I ask him to pay all fees (Around $25) or I will leave negative feedback (Is this even allowed or is it extortion?) Should I just leave Negative feedback and move on and re-list... Or is there something else that I should do that I have not already done? I cant really offer another ebay user a second chance offer since it was closed early with Buy it Now and I only had 2 other bidders at a fraction of what the laptop was worth. Any ideas or help is appreciated.
    And of course all this happened after I told you guys that auction usually work themselves out in the other threads. [​IMG]
    KyleS

2. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

The problem with leaving negative feedback (no matter how justified it is) is that you stand a good chance of getting retaliatory negative feedback from him. Perhaps if you save the e-mails from the buyer where he admits reneging on the deal, you might be able to convince eBay to erase any negative feedback he leaves (though I doubt eBay would even get involved).

3. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

It is not your problem that he is unable to pay. Bidding on an item is a contract to complete the sale, family problems or not (which could be total BS for all you know). I would ask for a least covering your listing costs if he wants to avoid negative feedback, which is warranted since he bailed on buying the item, and is costing you for the listing - just don't demand covering the costs. I would explain your side, and if he doesn't seem to recognise your costs, just leave feedback as appropriate. If he retaliates with negative feedback, just comment that the bidder backed out of a contract. I think most people looking at your feedback will understand a negative if it is explained credibly.

4. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Brian I did think about him coming back on me for leaving negative feedback but then I am still pretty pissed and know that I am within my right so that others will not have a problem. I am on the fence whether to leave feedback because he may be telling the truth so if he really did have family issues he should see my point and pay for the fees. If he isn't willing to pay for the fees then I am thinking he really didn't have a family issue, or doesn't care about breaking the contract and therefore I can feel justified in warning people about him with the feedback. Any other suggestions?

KyleS

5. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I would recommend politely asking him to cover your expenses, since that's fair. Give him that chance since maybe he is really in a tight spot. If he refuses, then just leave honest feedback explaining the situation.

I am very surprised that eBay won't refund your listing fees if a buyer backs out of a purchase!!! That's pretty low.

6. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

Or you can wait and post neg. feedback on the 89th day. [​IMG]

7. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Do just what Jeff says. Its not your problem if he couldn't pay. If he wants to make it right and avoid negative feedback he should pay you your fees. Think of it as a restocking fee.

8. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

I agree, ask him to PayPal your listing fees. Then, you'll have to wait quite a bit longer, and go through the "Non-Paying Bidder" forms on eBay to get your actual auction fees refunded by eBay, but that's your best option.
    Did you have this item as a featured item? ($19.95 list fee) If so, he still may be able to cover that fee to avoid negative feedback.
    I had a similar situation where a bidder bought something for over $500, and then couldn't pay. He was nice, and very polite, and re sent me the list fee (featured) via PayPal.
    I would stay polite, but stay firm, and state that you are going to be out $XX.XX from the listing fee because of his non-payment. You'll be forced to give neg feedback if he can't cover the list fee.
    After 7 days, you have to file a non-paying bidder alert to get your auction fees back. It takes a lot of follow up clicks, and time though. Here's the link. You have to follow step 3, and then eventually step 4:
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/npb.html