Another DVD Review Site - - what would you like to see?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Harnish, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

I know there are many DVD review sites out there (and some of you may be rolling your eyes "Oh, man not another one!"). However, I'm interested in creating one (as a side project to the other project I'm working on now). What would you folks like to see on the site? What kind of reviews (disc reviews/movie reviews/both?) would you be interested in seeing? What else would you like to see on the site that isn't on any other DVD review site?
    I've come up with some ideas myself (after browsing the many review sites out there) but would be interested in receiving input from the individuals here.
    EDIT: Aaargh. I meant to post this in the DVD software section. Could a kind mod please move this thread there? Thanks! [​IMG]

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Brian, I'd like to see more reviews of foreign, classic, and just plain obscure movies. Most sites pretty much stick with the latest Hollywood releases...

3. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Brian,
    The thing I'd like to see is a seperate area for a DVD History where you would have the release date of the DVD you're reviewing as well as the release dates (& studios) of all previous versions (perhaps with pics of what they look like). Perhaps a short description of the previous versions.
    For example, explain how the orig. The Princess Bride was non-anamorphic and bare bones, how the Anchor Bay Notorious might be the way to go for someone who isn't interested in all the extras and wants to save a little money.
    Might be a lot of work, but would be extremely useful when there's a new release and there are still other versions on the shelves.

4. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

Brian, here are a few things I'd be interested in:-

Detailed info about the format of the DVD eg sound/picture

Different editions of the DVD eg special/director's cut/re-release as non-flipper etc...

Region releases and comparisons

Good Luck!

5. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

Maybe this is just stating the obvious, but . . . good writing. The only DVD reviewer who I read consistently is Glenn Erickson, the DVD Savant. It helps that he reviews more obscure films and that he has an almost encylcopedic knowledge of film history, but I read his reviews largely for the simple pleasure of his writing.

I also miss Steve T's more personal writing style from the old DVD Resource Page days, though he might warn you against such an approach.

6. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

I would like to see a dvd reviewed from a 25" t.v. & 55" plus t.v, because the picture does look different on each t.v.