Another DVD-HD931 review

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tim-L, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Tim-L

Tim-L Auditioning

I have a Panasonic 56" widescreen HD Mon. I had a progessive scan DVD player but it really didn't help as I could only get 480 and 1080 resolution on the tv. So I got the HD931 in order to watch the DVDs on a higher output resolution. Here's my opinion of it.

First, the remote...It is a little small but I think we're just used to the bigger universal remotes. This makes the smaller size of the DVD remote much more noticable. However, if you're careful with the use it works fine although you do have to point it directly at the unit.

The blue light on the jog/shuttle control really is annoying as it's to bright.

It takes a bit of work to get it set up correctly. Mine came out of the box wih both DTS and 5.1 turned off. I had to go into the menus to get it turned on.

However, watching at 1080i res does make a huge difference. Beautiful picture quality. It's especially awesome on digital DVDs like Toy Story etc. Specifically, the opening scenes of Toy Story 2 where Buzz Lightyear is in the game sequence is really amazing. I don't have Nemo yet but A Bug's Life is equally as awesome.

I have a couple of films backed up and sometimes it sticks on those but not often.

All in all it's a good unit. The anamorphic DVDs sized really well. 4:3 films stretch which is annoying. Personally, unless you need 1080i on a DVD player, I'd wait before purchasing this unit. No Hi-Def DVDs plus the higher price make this thing nothing more than the latest toy. But for those who do want the 1080i res, it's woth the $$$. Just be sure to read the manual and spend your time setting it up correctly.

Tim-L

2. DaveSp

DaveSp Agent

Tim-L -

I just posted a reply on the older HD931 thread, talking about issues I'm having with my picture. There I said:

"I have the HD931 connected to my Toshiba 51H83 via DVI. The problem is that dark scenes are abnormally dark, to the point of significant/complete loss of detail (I've compared the same picture on my old 27" set). In addition, dark areas invariably have a red or green tint to them which I can't eliminate with tint control. Fiddling with brightness and/or contrast do not improve the picture. I have calibrated with Video Essentials (I do recalibrate if I play with the settings). I run the TV and player both at 108i (I don't see a difference on other settings). I thought the TV itself may be at fault but I just got ComCast HD and the HD picture is beautiful. With DVDs, the "problem" is noted by virtually everyone who sees the picture. The TV has not had professional calibration and has about 100 hrs on it (professional calibration isn't in the cards right now due to cost)."

Do have any similar observations?

Thanks,
    Dave

3. DaveSp

DaveSp Agent

I've switched from DVI to the component connection. In dark scenes the picture is much better with more detail and absence of tinting. And run without progressive scan at the player, letting the TV do the work. This provides the best picture.

I'd have to say I'm disappointed with the 931.

Dave