What's new

Another Driving Rant!/Observation! (1 Viewer)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

I would normally believe this, but I have definitely noticed a trend with 18-wheelers being more aggressive and tailgating. Cars have had amazing advances in the past 10+ yrs (anti-lock brakes, better traction control, etc) that has been "credited" with people being more aggressive since they feel in better control, has big truck technology also advanced similarly ?

Oh yeah people... USE YOUR F-ING BLINKERS !!!!!!!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
One of the most terrible road accidents we had in my country, a few years ago, involved a truck which had to slow down much too much for its normal design.

On one of our highways, early in the morning, a patch of fog suddenly came up over a length of several hundred meters. The driver of the first car going into it (he probably hardly could see a thing any more) heavily braked. A truck behind him had to brake very heavily too, to avoid a collision. Because of the fog, the truck driver noticed the panic reaction of the driver in front of him a bit late, so he really hit the brakes.

A few seconds later, the driver of the truck didn't exist any more, because a load of steel pipes had forced their way through his driver compartment. The truck then no longer slowed down that much and totally destroyed the car in front of him, including everything in it. However, it also started to shift and during the next minute 21 cars ran against it and at each other, killing a total of 16 people, while more than 20 were injured.

The fog then dissolved again and it took a lot of mental reconstruction to find out the truth.

Lesson: if you're suddenly inside a thick rain or fog don't hit the brakes. Try to steer straight on, only calmly slowing down the speed of your car.

That's a joke I used to do too. Bad one.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
(:laugh: )
(Not everyone can close one eye while making it look like normally closed.)

Cees

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
what do you mean?

one of my hi-way annoyances, is cars trying to get on a fast moving road from an on ramp into the traffic NOT yielding to the cars already there.

most of the time you cannot slow down or move into the next lane because of cars already there and the flow of the traffic.

the yield sign on an on ramp is for the car getting into traffic to yield to the cars already there.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter

No, it's not quite like that. I understand I have to yield to the traffic already on I-24. Here's how it was, in a bit more detail:

This particular onramp to I-24 allows cars coming from both directions on the crossing perpendicular road. I had a green left turn arrow to get on the ramp, which gives me the right of way to get on the entrance ramp. Cars coming from the other direction attempting to get on the ramp have a yield sign at the base of the ramp. If this guy hadn't turned right, onto the ramp, he would've been stopped at a red light while the cross traffic turned in front of him onto the ramp.

Basically, there's a merge just to get onto the onramp getting on I-24. It'd probably be more understandable if I had my graphs and pie charts :D

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Yeah, I get what Tim is saying. When there are two entrances to an on-ramp, cars on the right-turn entrance are supposed to yield to cars using the left-turn entrance so as not to impede the flow of traffic at the traffic light.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
one of my highway annoyances, is cars trying to get on a fast moving road from an on ramp into the traffic NOT yielding to the cars already there.

most of the time you cannot slow down or move into the next lane because of cars already there and the flow of the traffic.>>>

If t his is the same thing, Who designed the highway to have an exit ramp deposit a car into the FAST lane, where cars are already moving at 70 MPH? I HATE those, as well as those super short exits that last about 10 inches..

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
no, this is a deposit into the far right lane the "slow" lane.

there are alot of these in the philly roadways.

wors of the bunch is the schukyll expressway.

when i was a very young kid, my parents told meit was designed by a blind person.
at the time i thought this was an amazing acheivement.
i didnt know they were being sarcastic until i was old enough to undertand the road myself.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I just got back from the Jersey Shore, and I noticed alot of the exits and on-ramps are on the left. I'm not sure I've ever had that problem in (Upstate) New York. Massachusetts only does it occasionally, seemingly so you won't see it coming:).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks